Unable to update D850GB bios

Thread: Unable to update D850GB bios

Unable to update D850GB bios

Have been attempting to update the BIOS on my Gateway P4, 1.7 ghz D850GB motherboard.The particulars for this pc is:

Current BIOS: GB85010A.15A.0028.P09.0103091412
    Intel/AMI BIOS (resident in the Intel 82802AB 4 Mbit FWH)
    Motherboard Part #: 2512450
    Chipset: Intel 82850 Memory Controller
    Intel 82801BA I/O Cotroller
    Intel 82802AB 4 Mbit Firmware Hub

First tried the intel express bios update (GBAP18.exe). It failed giving an error "Severe- This program is unable to continue. The BIOS you are trying to update is invalid".

I also tried the Iflash GB-P18.exe update. I used only IBM formatted disks and followed all the instructions. The bios update appears to updated with no errors. Upon completion, it directed to remove the disk and restart the pc. Once doing that I entered the bios setup to confirm the update. The Bios still showed the old bios version.

PC operates as before. No apparent change that I can notice. I have no problem getting into BIOS setup. Just can't seem to get the updates incorporated. Have tried tech support at Gateway. They keep reffering me back to intel's website. Thought I may need an intermediate set of bios to upgrade to first, but can't find anything other than intel's upgrade to P18.

Looking for suggestions. Thanks

Did you try the P13 version from the gateway website as you appear to be running version P09?

BTW the P18 bios doesnt seem to match your board the pdf read me gives it as SUBJECT : GB85010A.86A not GB85010A.15A as per your post.

I did try the P13 update. I just tried it again to get the details on the error I had. Once I have coppied the files to a floppy and re-boot, the pc gives an error "Remove disks or other media. Press any key to restart" or "Non-system disk or disk error. Replace and strike any key when ready".

You did make the floppy bootable as per the instructions didn't you i.e. not XP or 2K boot disk?

I used pre-formatted IBM diskettes. I tried it several times. Even purchased more diskettes thinking that perhaps mine were old or unusable. Is that what you mean by bootable? Following the instructions from Gateway for the P13 update (which I am sure you are correct on that being the correct update for the board I have) unzips the file update to the cabs folder. The instructions are to copy all the files in the folder to the floppy. Then reboot with the diskette.

Overview
    Identification
    To confirm that this is the correct BIOS update for your motherboard, follow these steps:
    If the computer is turned off:
    1. Turn on the computer. On your keyboard, repeatedly press the F1 key to enter the BIOS Setup Utility.
    2. After the BIOS Setup Utility opens, on the Main tab, look at the bottom of the screen for the current BIOS version. The version needs to read GB85010A.15A.0014.Pxx (where Pxx is the current revision number).

3. If BIOS GB85010A.15A.0014.Pxx is displayed, you have the correct BIOS update. Press the F10 key to exit the BIOS Setup Utility.

If the computer is turned on and in Windows:
    1. From the Start menu, click Shut Down. In the Shut Down Windows dialog box, click Restart, and then click Yes.
    2. As soon as the computer restarts, on your keyboard, repeatedly press the F1 key to enter the BIOS Setup Utility.
    3. After the BIOS Setup Utility opens, on the Main tab, look at the bottom of the screen for the current BIOS version. The version needs to read GB85010A.15A.0014.Pxx (where Pxx is the current revision number).
    4. If BIOS GB85010A.15A.0014.Pxx is displayed, you have the correct BIOS update. Press F10 to exit the BIOS Setup Utility.

Installation
    Preparing your computer
    Before updating your computer's BIOS, enter the current BIOS Setup Utility and write down each of the current settings, in the event that this information is needed again after the upgrade.

Copying the files
    1. On your screen, double-click the BIOS update that you have downloaded. The files self-extract and copy into folder C:\Drivers\7510480.
    2. On your screen, double-click the My Computer icon.
    3. In the My Computer dialog box, double-click C:, double-click the Drivers folder, and then double-click the 7510480 folder.
    4. In the 7510480 folder, click Edit, and then click Select All.
    5. In the 7510480 folder, click Edit, and then click Copy.
    6. Close all open programs and windows.
    7. Place a formatted, blank disk in the floppy disk drive.
    8. On your screen, double-click the My Computer icon.
    9. In the My Computer dialog box, double-click the icon for drive A.

10. In the A: folder, click Edit, and then lick Paste. The files are copied to the disk.

Performing the update
    1. From the Start menu, click Shut Down. In the Shut Down Windows dialog box, click Restart, and then click Yes. Leave the disk in the floppy disk drive while the computer restarts
    2. When the computer restarts, a Gateway BIOS Update Utility screen appears. Press any key on the keyboard.
    3. An Intel Flash Memory Update Utility screen displays a red status bar.

Note: Do not press any keys or restart the computer at this time.

4. When the status bar reaches 100 percent, the computer restarts. Remove the disk from the floppy disk drive at this time.

5. When the computer restarts, you may receive a BIOS Configuration error. If this occurs, press F1 to enter the BIOS Setup Utility.

6. In the BIOS Setup Utility, Press F10, and then press ENTER to save and exit.

Troubleshooting
    If the driver does not install, download the file again, and then follow these steps again. This eliminates file corruption.
    ftp://ftp.gateway.com/pub/hardware_s...0a/7511942.exe

Quote Originally Posted by DHWJ
    I used pre-formatted IBM diskettes. I tried it several times. Even purchased more diskettes thinking that perhaps mine were old or unusable. Is that what you mean by bootable? Following the instructions from Gateway for the P13 update (which I am sure you are correct on that being the correct update for the board I have) unzips the file update to the cabs folder. The instructions are to copy all the files in the folder to the floppy. Then reboot with the diskette.

Am experiencing same exact problem. Am aware of what is stated in readme.txt, but using pre-formatted IBM floppy is not working. On bootup to A: drive, disk is being rejected as Non-System disk/disk error.

Quote Originally Posted by freddy
    but the disk needs to be formatted as a boot up disk , ie: system files on it
    Thanks for the simple, yet effective, advice. Flash went fine after doing what you suggested.