Install Device Driver?

Thread: Install Device Driver?

Install Device Driver?

I recently bought a Samsung DVD Rom which installed with no problems, however in reading the manual it says that you do not need to install any special drivers because Windows will use the default driver.

It also states the following -

The device driver is located in the Ddriver folder of the User's Guide disc with is provided in the package.

This device driver is to recognize a DVD-ROM drive on Dos mode.

This driver should be applied for DOS mode user to install on Windows 98 or Windows ME only.

I did what they said and what happened was the auto exec bat was changed with an added command, it has not caused any problems but I just wondered if I needed to do this.

Where it says should be applied for DOS mode user to install on Windows 98 or Windows ME only, what does this really mean?

If someone can tell me that I should not have installed that device driver then I can go back to a previous version of my drive using ghost.

If any more details are required please let me know.

P.S

Something else I would like to ask concerning the new DVD drive.

I noticed that when I replaced my old CD Rom with this DVD Rom drive when I listened to a CD the sound sounded tinny and there was a humming noise coming from both speakers, this was not there before I installed it.
    I thought to myself what on earth could this be, so I tried a few things with no luck, then I thought to try the audio connectors at the back of the tower, when I took one out and put it back in again the humming noise stopped, and when I played the same CD again it sounded fine.

Would I be right in saying that when you replace an audio drive with a new one you have to remove the audio connectors as I did then replace them, it sorted out my problem anyway.

Hope to hear from someone.

Many thanks
    Last edited by Icecake; December 19th, 2004 at 06:07 PM.

Registered User Rifleman @ Layman's PC's Avatar
    Those drivers really are not needed for 98 and ME if you use the standard MS boot floppy that was intended for the operating system. The only way those drivers do you any good when running windows 98 or ME is if you drop to DOS mode regularly and need to access the drive.

As for your P.S... I'd say you more than likely had knocked the connection on the wire a little hinky. Unplugging it and plugging it back in is always the first step to try on a bad connection. A little word of advise, take it or leave it is your choice, but it is a good idea to unplug all the connectors to the PC while performing service to it.
    Those who do not know, are lost...

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman @ Layman's PC
    Those drivers really are not needed for 98 and ME if you use the standard MS boot floppy that was intended for the operating system. The only way those drivers do you any good when running windows 98 or ME is if you drop to DOS mode regularly and need to access the drive.

As for your P.S... I'd say you more than likely had knocked the connection on the wire a little hinky. Unplugging it and plugging it back in is always the first step to try on a bad connection. A little word of advise, take it or leave it is your choice, but it is a good idea to unplug all the connectors to the PC while performing service to it.
    Thanks for that info, you see I use Ghost 2003 to make back ups of my Hard Drive and could easily go back to before I installed this command for DOS MODE.
    Should I restore it back or will it be ok to leave it as I had installed this device driver already, and now I see it all the time on boot up on screen.

I make the GHOST IMAGE CD a bootable one also I have a PC and MS DOS Ghost boot floppy, and they always find the CD ROM ATAPI DRIVE

So in this case should I go back?

Hope to hear from you again.
    Last edited by Icecake; December 20th, 2004 at 03:04 AM.

Registered User Rifleman @ Layman's PC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Icecake
    Thanks for that info, you see I use Ghost 2003 to make back ups of my Hard Drive and could easily go back to before I installed this command for DOS MODE.
    Should I restore it back or will it be ok to leave it as I had installed this device driver already, and now I see it all the time on boot up on screen.

I make the GHOST IMAGE CD a bootable one also I have a PC and MS DOS Ghost boot floppy, and they always find the CD ROM ATAPI DRIVE

So in this case should I go back?

Hope to hear from you again.
    It should cause you no issues, but if you do not use the CDROM in DOS mode, there is no need for it. It is up to you to decide whether to uninstall it or not.
    Those who do not know, are lost...

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman @ Layman's PC
    It should cause you no issues, but if you do not use the CDROM in DOS mode, there is no need for it. It is up to you to decide whether to uninstall it or not.
    I went back to my previous windows version just to be safe using Ghost, I have reinstalled POWER DVD without installing the DOS device driver.

The DVD Rom seems to be found ok when I have a Ghost bootable CD in it, so that should be alright yeah? or is it finding it because I am only using ordinary CD and CD'RS at the moment, and may not recognise if I have a Ghost bootable DVD in it

Will there be any difference however when I start to use DVD's when creating an image using Ghost.

I hope the answer is no!

You see I have been given a DVD burner for my xmas, and only replaced my CD ROM with a DVD ROM so I can copy on the fly, I will be installing my DVD burner after Xmas.

When I boot with a Ghost CD my computer finds it as ATAPI CD ROM

What I plan to do is install my DVD burner into the 3rd bay, my DVD ROM is set to MASTER, my CD BURNER that I want to keep is in the 2nd bay also set to MASTER as it's on a seperate ribbon, but what I propose to do is make the DVD burner the MASTER and have the CD BURNER set to SLAVE on the 2nd ribbon as I will not be using both of these at any one time.

I also have the option of using my SECONDARY port too.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Icecake; December 20th, 2004 at 01:09 PM.