xp won't create a new dial up connection

Thread: xp won't create a new dial up connection

xp won't create a new dial up connection

i've got this computer i'm trying to work on. the person just did a repair on xp because it crashed in the middle of SP2 update. but it won't let you create a new dailup connection. it seems the modem fine and the query comes back ok. but when you go to network connections and tell it a new connection and choose configure manually. on the next screen the only option that is selecteable is "broadband connection that is always on" the dialup option and the second option are both grayed out and can not be chosen. there were alot of services that were turned off like telephony and RAS stuff, which i have turned back on and done a few restarts but it still won't let me create a new dailup connection. thanks in advance for any help guys.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    "I've always been crazy, it has keep me from going insane"

Quote Originally Posted by notorious_carl
    i've got this computer i'm trying to work on. the person just did a repair on xp because it crashed in the middle of SP2 update. but it won't let you create a new dailup connection. it seems the modem fine and the query comes back ok. but when you go to network connections and tell it a new connection and choose configure manually. on the next screen the only option that is selecteable is "broadband connection that is always on" the dialup option and the second option are both grayed out and can not be chosen. there were alot of services that were turned off like telephony and RAS stuff, which i have turned back on and done a few restarts but it still won't let me create a new dailup connection. thanks in advance for any help guys.
    I've seen this problem in the past when someone would install SP1 then restore back to a point before SP1 was installed.

It was fixed by reinstalling SP1.

In this case I would reinstall SP1, then see if that fixed it. If not attempt a reinstall of SP2.
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

here's one listed from here.

Connect using a dial-up modem or VPN option in the New Connection Wizard is unavailable (gray out)
    SYMPTOMS:
    1) After installed SP1 for XP and then use the System Restore feature to restore Windows to a state before the installation of the service pack.
    2) After upgraded your computer to XP Pro from Win98, ME and XP Home. You may experience the following symptoms: a) The Connect using a dial-up modem or VPN option in the New Connection Wizard is unavailable (gray out). b) The Network Connections folder is empty. c) ICS and ICF services do not start because of a dependency failure. d) In the Event Viewer, you may get Event ID: 7023, Event ID: 20035 or error 5 with Access is denied, Remote Access Connection Manager failed to start because it could not create buffers or Could not start the Remote Access Connection Manager service on Local Computer.
    Resolution: 1) To resolve this problem, reinstall SP1 for Windows XP. 2) Delete the NextID value HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Telephony\Cards\NextID, and then restart the computer. 3) Delete the Telephony key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Telephony.
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

Maybe those services have been disabled. If you go into services [ run > services.msc ] and make sure the following services are enabled and have started:

Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
    Remote Access Connection Manager

Also usually need any services dependant of these two.

thanks for all your guys help. reinstalling sp1 seemed to fix the problem. thanks again.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    "I've always been crazy, it has keep me from going insane"