Dvd-rom Not Working In Windows Xp

Thread: Dvd-rom Not Working In Windows Xp

Unhappy Dvd-rom Not Working In Windows Xp

Hello. I have a Compaq Presario 7922 with a Samsung DVD-ROM 608 Drive. I had Windows 98SE on it but upgrade it to Windows XP Professional. It read the DVD ok but now it does not read it as a DVD-ROM, just a CD-ROM. I installed couple of DVD software but no luck. How can I fix this problem?

Been to Samsungs website for additional drivers yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    Been to Samsungs website for additional drivers yet?
    I agree with Ya_know. It sounds like you are missing the XP driver. That will most likely resolve your issue. You can also uninstall the drivers it and reinstall them and manually choose the device you are installing. Good luck!

I tried looking at samsung's website but no luck, al I have tried Compaq and nothing too. I tried uninstalling it but reads as a CD-ROM and not a DVD-ROM.

If you're feeling lucky you could try updating the firmware of the drive.
    I found a Compaq firmware update here:

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.ph...1&manufactor=8

If you did an upgrade to XP it's also possible that whatever Win 98 DVD program came with the computer loaded a driver that isn't compatible with XP.

No drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by esnetsc
    Hello. I have a Compaq Presario 7922 with a Samsung DVD-ROM 608 Drive. I had Windows 98SE on it but upgrade it to Windows XP Professional. It read the DVD ok but now it does not read it as a DVD-ROM, just a CD-ROM. I installed couple of DVD software but no luck. How can I fix this problem?
    XP supports ATAPI devices natively. There is no need for drivers, unless you have some odd, proprietary interface.

However, upgrading is NEVER the way you want to go. As you have discovered - the upgrade process has left a remnant behind that is not allowing you to use your DVD drive. And don't bother trying to use your old 98 software on XP - that's simply an exercise in futility. Purchase a new DVD player software. Or cheaper still - don't watch movies on your PC anymore. Go buy a $20 or $30 DVD player and watch it on a bigger screen.

Backup, format, and install fresh - I'd bet $5 - no problems afterwards.

Hope this helps!

Kenny P.
    Visualize Whirled P.'s

Quote Originally Posted by kpataska
    XP supports ATAPI devices natively. There is no need for drivers, unless you have some odd, proprietary interface.

However, upgrading is NEVER the way you want to go. As you have discovered - the upgrade process has left a remnant behind that is not allowing you to use your DVD drive. And don't bother trying to use your old 98 software on XP - that's simply an exercise in futility. Purchase a new DVD player software. Or cheaper still - don't watch movies on your PC anymore. Go buy a $20 or $30 DVD player and watch it on a bigger screen.

Backup, format, and install fresh - I'd bet $5 - no problems afterwards.

Hope this helps!

Kenny P.
    Visualize Whirled P.'s
    Nope didn't work. Did the fresh install and still the same. CD-ROM only, I guess I have to buy a new drive, but a DVD recorder now.

Yep...

Nope didn't work. Did the fresh install and still the same. CD-ROM only, I guess I have to buy a new drive, but a DVD recorder now.
    Your drive has "issues"...

With any luck, Santa has brought you a new DVD +/-RW drive!

Happy Holidaze!

Kenny P.

Have you tried a dvd in it? don't worry what xp calls it as long as it works, you will probably need power dvd or similar mind

Well if you want to record that's certainly a way forward - but you might still be in the 'same place'

To repeat - dvd rom/writers don't need 'drivers' under xp they do however need 'decoder codecs' (some software that reads the formats to work with other players - what's apparently missing here methinks also {as thats the bit that generally changes 'cd' to 'dvd'} ) to play & for writers they add a 'filter' (a part of a 'driver') to do the 'burning' bits (note virtual devices & drives use this idea too)

I have only experienced this on new systems we build but it's worth a try. We had used an ata 33 40 wire cable on a dvd drive. After not detecting etc...we tried an 80 wire...voila. It had worked when we loaded Windows 98 SE on it...then the customer came to their senses before it left the shop and we loaded XP Home.

Joe
    AMD Athon 64 X2 4400+, Corsair XMS Pro XL 3200, XFX 7800GTX OC, Raptor 74GB 10k RPM, Abit Fatality A8N SLI

dvd rom not working in windows xp

I am having the same problem with my dvd rom/cd rom drive. The computer I have I recently bought used from computer store. dvd rom was working at store and at home with 98se on it, when I upgraded to xp dvd/cd rom stop working inside of xp, works fine in MSDOS mode. Tried just about everything.
    Have run out of solutions. Can anyone help.