EMAL PROBLEMS... help!!

Thread: EMAL PROBLEMS... help!!

EMAL PROBLEMS... help!!

Hello again people...
    one of the accountants that work at the hospital is having problems sending emails with a third party program. the program is suppossed to use MS Outlook and send email automaticaly. well, becuase of the programs he runs, he is using windows 2000 pro sp4 and office 2000 pro sp3, recently upgraded patches in office. before the patches were upgraded, he didn't have any problems at all sending email with the third party program, the program actually will automaticaly send emails to 200 to 300 people. now that the patch has been upgraded, when the program tries to send the emails he get a message that says:

" a program is trying to automatically send email on your behalf. do you want to allow this?
    if this is unexpected, it may be a virus and you should choose "no".
    then gives you YES NO HELP options.

last week, the client sat there and hit YES 250 times to send the emails, it asks the same question over and over for every single email that needs to be sent, whereas before, the email will be done in a matter of seconds.

i was told that the service pack is the one causing this problem, it is supposed to be like a "anti spam" or something.

any of you had similar problems with emails like this?

appreciated your help in advanced.

thanks
    Peligroso
    Assumption is the mother of all fucl< ups

SP3 will do that to you every time. Things like net shared folders in outlook will prompt you the same way.

You're only way out is to remove SP3, and perhaps a few of the other updates...

You're really going to hate this part:
    Note After you install Office 2000 SP-3, you cannot remove it. To return to an installation before Office 2000 SP-3, you must remove all Office 2000, and then install it again from the original CD-ROM.
    From this article: Description of the Office 2000 Service Pack 3 (SP3)

Is there an Exchange server in this setup somewhere? If so you can get round it by using the security settings folder.....

Go to microsoft and put in the error about mailing and it will give you a link to download, you can also allow level 1 attachments, etc using it. Easy enough to install as well.

Any problems finding it post back here and I'll get the links for you and some instructions.

It's another case of don't install the Service Pack unless you are having problems. If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it.... can't say that enough!
    "Today is a Gift, thats why they call it the present"

i checked on another forum and i was told to remove ms word as the email editor and check also for acrobat add-ins in the registry.
    i removed word as email editor, checked registry for acrobat add-ins and didnt find any. i tried to email and still gave me same error message.

do you think upgrading from office 2000 sp3 to office 2003 pro will solve this problem?

some one suggested to use a third party program to say OK everytime he tries to send the emails, something like MAIL MATE
    ( http://www.contextmagic.com/express-notification/ ).

if office 2003 can take care of the problem, i will have his dept. purchase a license for it, if not, i will have to find a way to get this email problem going.

your thoughts??

There is no need to purchase anything here... you can do this by installing the security settings folder for Outlook on an Exchange server if one is present.

The problem is Microsoft's way of stopping any application automatically sending e-mails through Outlook. It's to prevent viruses/spams etc.

It can be dealt with quite easily

Quote Originally Posted by corturbra
    There is no need to purchase anything here... you can do this by installing the security settings folder for Outlook on an Exchange server if one is present.

The problem is Microsoft's way of stopping any application automatically sending e-mails through Outlook. It's to prevent viruses/spams etc.

It can be dealt with quite easily

cool, but i am not the administrator for our exchange server, do you have the link or more info on what i need to townload so i can present it to the exchange admin??

Quote Originally Posted by PeLiGrOsO
    cool, but i am not the administrator for our exchange server, do you have the link or more info on what i need to townload so i can present it to the exchange admin??

Hi there, would have thought your Exchange admin would already know about it.... however here are the links...

Article about security update http://support.microsoft.com/kb/262631/EN-US/

Link to article about the admin updates.... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263297

From the second one, you can link to the download areas and instructions. Its easy to install and can be set to run from just one PC. When I set it up, I created the registry entries in a reg file, which users click to allow mail through, then click another one after to reset the security settings.