I can get to her but she can't get to me.

Thread: I can get to her but she can't get to me.

Banned

I can get to her but she can't get to me.

I just finshed setting up an small home network on two XP Pro boxes I have. One of them belong to a friend. For some reason I can access her HDD, but she can't seem to access mine. I went through the same step by step procedure to set up said network. I made sure that both of the HDD are shared (right click/share/etc...), and that both can change files on the other. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

P.S. I did'nt see a thread like this, but if one exists, then I'm sorry I didn't look harder.

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where
    Sounds like the firewall isn't set up appropriatly on your machine.
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

Banned
    @#$*ing hell, I can't believe I didn't think about that. Thanks Outcoded.

Banned
    After disabling the firewall I was able to get them networked properly. Now the only probleme is that I can't get them to access the internet. I have the DSL modem connected to the hub, and each of the two computers connected to the hub. When the cat5 from the modem is connected to the hub the internet LED doesn't lite up. So what am I' doing wrong now. Thanks in advance for any info.

this hub has a connection labled internet? (its probaly a router with a built in switch then)

What chagned what it dosen't work now? wires moved arround, settings on the device have changed?

knowing what the device is would be most helpful, Hub or something else.

best guess is that it needs the otehr kind of CAT5 cable (straight through or cross-over) assuming its a router.

if its just a hub/switch then it you can try:
    - a different cable or look for a port labled uplink, if already in that try one of the other ones.
    - could also be your ISP blocking your hard ware from connecting (this is how they make you pay for service)
    - also note if it is just a hub or a switch your computers that are shareing files now have no firewalls (based on posts above) and any one on the internet could seriously break your puters, resolution for this get a firewall device/router.