SP2 = endless BSOD loop

Thread: SP2 = endless BSOD loop

SP2 = endless BSOD loop

I can't update my machine to service pack 2. I can update and run SP1 and install every hotfix, but if I update my system to SP2 all I get when the machine goes to reboot is an endless BSOD loop. Safe mode doesn't work, nothing. I've removed everything from my system except memory and video. Still no joy. I shut down and let it sit for a while and did a cold boot and still no joy, continuous BSOD. Then the only way to fix that is to format and re-install OS. Has anybody else had this problem?

System specs -
    ECS P4VXASD2+ w/P4 1.5 GHz
    ASUS GeForce2 GTS 64MB video
    512MB PC2700 DDR Crucial Memory
    30 GB WD HDD
    20 GB Maxtor HDD
    Toshiba DVD-ROM
    TDK DVD/+RW

I've even tried swapping out the nvidia vc for an old ATI Rage and that didn't help after the upgrade to SP2. All Microsoft has to say is that they can't help me without getting the info form the BSOD, and I can't even break or pause screen because the crash just flashes the BSOD for like a nano second (not a nano second, but it's too damn quick to do anything before the system reboots) if you blink while the blue screens up you'd miss it, reboot. SP1 runs stable, my system runs great! But if I go to install SP2 it continuously loops until I kill it. Help? Or should I just leave it alone, what's the advantage to having SP2? Security? I use Zonealarm and AVG 7.0 plus my computer is behind two routers (one a firewall) and a switch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Sometimes the light’s all shinin’ on me;
    Other times I can barely see.
    Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it’s been.

Have you verified that TVMedia or any other spyware is not on the system. I had a problem with TVMedia specifically botching my client's SP2 installs.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Thanks Meatwad, I had already downloaded and installed that hotfix. Do you know if there's any benefit from SP2 that is lacking from SP1?

Oh yeah, about spyware? None here. After the first time the update to SP2 failed and I contacted MS, I did all the updates on a clean install using CD's for the updating before the system ever went online. Got both SP1 and SP2 from MS. I took advantage of MS offer on them CDs they offered for patching.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.
    Last edited by Humilliation; December 25th, 2004 at 12:17 AM.
    Sometimes the light’s all shinin’ on me;
    Other times I can barely see.
    Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it’s been.

if you hav'nt already done it, remove and reseat memory, also try one at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Humilliation
    Thanks Meatwad, I had already downloaded and installed that hotfix. Do you know if there's any benefit from SP2 that is lacking from SP1?..
    Errr .. the general 'reommend' is that you install sp2 'clean' if you can (so no hotfixes first just sp2, then any stuff) & as for differences, there's a few ! - think of sp2 like 98se was to 98, there's 'fixes' & some added functionality e.g. 'security centre' & changes to how things work, what's turned on by default etc ..

Your m/b -ECS P4VXASD2+ doesn't carry the magic words 'designed for xp' so you may have bios issues & this imho is your endless looping cause by xp's biggest failing 'resource sharing issues' due to how they re-implemented 'plug & play' under NT system ways rather than 9x methods .. so check for a bios update ! - I'd have linked you to one but there's revisions of the board - start here though