HP Pavillion Display Dims after 30 Seconds

Thread: HP Pavillion Display Dims after 30 Seconds

HP Pavillion Display Dims after 30 Seconds

Hello,

I am having a problem with the display on my HP Pavillion zt1195. The computer was dropped off the bed by a friend a few months ago, and developed some artifacts in the screen when on. While annoying, this doesn't impede my using it that greatly, and with the prices of screens it hardly seems worth replacing. But a couple of weeks ago a new problem developed, which is incredibly vexing and renders the computer unusable.

When I turn the computer on, it starts to boot normally, and everything looks fine. Within approximately thirty seconds (sometimes less, sometimes more), the monitor dims greatly (it appears off at first glance, but if you look very closely you can still see what's going on). If you press the button in the upper-left that triggers the monitor to go off (as though the laptop were being closed) and release it, the display will come back on again at full brightness for the same duration, then flick to almost-off mode again.

I opened the computer to see if there were any obvious connections to the monitor loose, and didn't see any. I've removed the battery overnight to let it die, and tried it again, but the problem is still the same.

Any suggestions of things I can try would be most appreciated. Could this be a problem with the inverter? It seems like if the inverter were actually dead the monitor would never reach full brightness, but I may not understand its function properly.

Thank you very much,
    Brendan

Sounds like a power saving mode.Have you checked the bios to alter the timing for this feature?

While I don't have a direct answer to your problem, you might want to check out Manuals for your Pavillion zt1195.

It has a Troubleshooting & Self-Repair Guide available to download as well as others.

Also, BIOS Upgrade.

Good Luck!

clean the connections on the inverter sith some contact cleaner. Oxidization can cause this type of failure.