USB 2.0 ports act like USB 1.1 ports

Thread: USB 2.0 ports act like USB 1.1 ports

Unhappy USB 2.0 ports act like USB 1.1 ports

Hey guys,

I recently got an HP Pavilion zv5330us laptop for Christmas (bought at COMPUSA). The specifications note that the laptop comes with three USB 2.0 ports and the OS is Windows XP Home Edition.
    http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/h...me=product.cgi

I have a copy of Windows XP Pro so I formatted the hard drive, installed XP Pro, did windows update until there were no more updates, and then installed their drivers CD. Unfortunately, my USB 2.0 ports behave like USB 1.1 ports.

I stuck in my external USB 2.0 hard drive and ran a test on each port. A 100megabyte file took more than two minutes to transfer to my hard drive and vice versa from each port.

My old laptop had USB 1.1 ports so I bought a PCMCIA USB 2.0 slot card for it. I stuck it in the Pavilion and plugged the external hard drive in it. Transfers of that 100megabyte file were less than 20 seconds. Now I know there's a problem. HP is of no help -- the ensure me its 2.0 and so does COMPUSA.

Anyone know why the three USB 2.0 ports on the Pavilion are acting like USB 1.1 ports? Better yet, does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks a bunch,
    Son

is sp2 installed?

Get the latest Drivers for it here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...4&cc=us&os=228

It has an updated BIOS.
    btw did the USB 2.0 work fine when you first got it?

How is the usb identified in device manager? Should show up as "enhanced". If not, try installing the intel chipset drivers: http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...6&DwnldID=7948
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Daemon
    Windows Service Pack 2 is already installed. It got installed along with other updates when I ran www.windowsupdate.com

TechZ
    The BIOS was already updated as well. I try to update everything after I reformat before I install any third party software.

HudsonSmith
    Under device manager, the USB is NOT identified as Enhanced. I'm going to try installing the chipset drivers you recommend from the link and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your responses. I really appreciate it. If you have any other clues or suggestions, please feel free to post them.

Thanks!
    Son

Fixed

Before I decided to take hudsonsmith's advice, I took one look at the device manager again and noticed there was a conflict (exclamation point) with the USB at some entry. I forgot what that entry was. Either way, I right clicked, selected update driver, and let it search for the driver. After a couple of minutes, it fixed itself and now my USB 2.0 ports act like USB 2.0.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!!! They were very helpful.