Backup solution for winxp and ntfs

Thread: Backup solution for winxp and ntfs

Backup solution for winxp and ntfs

I started giving to my clients a Bootable win98 CD with CDROM drivers on the boot and ghost 2003.
    I added this batch file which contains this batch line :

ghost -clone,mode=pdump,src=1:1,dst=1:2\backup.gho -Z1

What it does it clones first drive partition to second partition as an image.
    So when the client wants to make a real backup, he boots form this cd, and he have recent backup.
    Most of the images can be burned afterward to a DVD-R, but that is for advanced clients.
    The great thing about this backup combination (ghost 2003,win98 boot), that it performs even NTFS partition backup, which earlier version of ghost could not do, and that it does not runs while windows is running (So no locked files, and a great ability to restore crashed partition.....)

Quote Originally Posted by HipHoper
    I started giving to my clients a Bootable win98 CD with CDROM drivers on the boot and ghost 2003.
    I added this batch file which contains this batch line :

ghost -clone,mode=pdump,src=1:1,dst=1:2\backup.gho -Z1

What it does it clones first drive partition to second partition as an image.
    So when the client wants to make a real backup, he boots form this cd, and he have recent backup.
    Most of the images can be burned afterward to a DVD-R, but that is for advanced clients.
    The great thing about this backup combination (ghost 2003,win98 boot), that it performs even NTFS partition backup, which earlier version of ghost could not do, and that it does not runs while windows is running (So no locked files, and a great ability to restore crashed partition.....)
    hey hiphoper
    so you know how to use ghost now fantastic program however
    have you tried putting your ghost image on to a hard drive instead of using a dvd-r there is a massive speed differance when you want to restore PM me if you want a chat about norton ghost
    What dont kill you only makes you stronger!!!!!

my solution

I just give my friends a boot disk with Ghost 2003 and two batch with it: one to crate image of partition, other to restore partition from image. . Also, I always leave a partition reserved for the images. Nothing better.

A flaw

Quote Originally Posted by peterpam
    I just give my friends a boot disk with Ghost 2003 and two batch with it: one to crate image of partition, other to restore partition from image. . Also, I always leave a partition reserved for the images. Nothing better.
    Well, It's nice, but i don't recommend auto-restore before recent files are backed up.
    some users use the ghost only once........so there are times that drives need to be backed up on another computer (if you can load OS).....

I recently bought a DVD burner. I love it to make backups with Ghost.
    I can use a DVD rewritable and back up often.
    That has save my butt several times.
    Using the DVD burner with Ghost and the rewritable discs make a pretty inexpensive and reliable backup.

I don't have to make an extra partition to store my partition image. I just use the rewritable dvd discs. And the storage at about 4.7 before the compression. I don't care if it takes a little longer going from discs. ALso, spares me space on my disk drives....

I think everyone should get a dvd burner for that reason alone.....
    I haven't lost any data due to restoring since I got the burner......

Now I'm a happy camper......
    Last edited by charlescpc; January 3rd, 2005 at 06:05 AM.
    The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once............Buckaroo Banzai