NFL: Young quarterbacks
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NFL: Young quarterbacks

NFL: Young quarterbacks

I don't get it,.. why does the NFL insist on starting all these young rookie quarterbacks over the last several years? Every once in awhile you luck out with a guy like Rothlesberger(sp) of teh Steelers,.. but for the most part, they are all just a bunch of inexperienced young punks. For example,.. Eli Manning vs Kurt Warner. Warner starts the season for the Giants at 5-2. They then replace Warner with Manning. Manning goes on to lose 6 straight games. Does this make any kind of sense at all? Shouldn't Manning be sitting on the sidelines for about 4 years, learning, taking notes, etc. before he goes out to start a game?
    Hello World

Banned
    Or with Carr as you want him to see the worst, then improve into a man

It worked for us.

Banned
    Honestly I thought Eli was way over rated to begin with, thought Roth was the better suited for Pro's and had proved himself against bigger teams and bigger games better the Eli. Plus also the way Eli acted at the draft, bah....

Hope him and the Simms boy have the same lackluster go nowhere careers.

You got that right. Even sticking with Kerry Collins would have been better. But its typical of the brainless management/drafting the Giants have exhibited the past few seasons. BTW, they're stuck now - Warner can now voidd the last year of his contract.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1955151
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Good. I hope Warner finds a better team to play for. After winning two superbowls only to become a backup to a rookie? That is just a slap in the face. Although at the same time, I hope Warner realizes that he's no spring chicken anymore.
    Hello World

Quote Originally Posted by WebHead
    Good. I hope Warner finds a better team to play for. After winning two superbowls only to become a backup to a rookie? That is just a slap in the face. Although at the same time, I hope Warner realizes that he's no spring chicken anymore.
    Actually Wrrby. He lost the second one. For some reason I remember that vividly.

Internet Linebacker
    Well, in all honesty, Roethlisberger is the rare exception to the rule. I didn't have high hopes for the Steelers this season to start with, and when Maddox went down in week 2, I figured it was only going to get worse. I was honestly expecting like a 2-14, 3-13 finish at best. But who knew a rookie could come in and go 13-0, and set a new record for rookie completion percentage and quarterback rating? It's never been done before, and it probably never will be done again.

All rookies generally need time to develop. Whether it's a year or 2 sitting on the bench behind a veteran and learning, or being thrown to the lions from day one and learning on the field, it doesn't matter. Take a look at the bengals - Carson Palmer sat all of last year, and he got off to a shaky start this season, but he ended up finishing pretty strong, and has developed into a decent QB. Then you take a look at a guy like David Carr who has started ever since he was drafted, and is just now starting to look like a franchise QB you keep around for the long haul. You just never know, some players develop faster than others. Every position has some bit of a learning curve to it, but the QB position is the steepest of those curves. Not only do you have to know what you're doing, but you're also responsible for what 10 other guys on the field are doing. It's not just throwing the ball to the open guy - you've got to know how to read a defense, change up your pass protection before the snap, and most importantly, know when to eat the ball instead of trying to force a throw. It's a much different game from college ball, where you'll only be playing maybe 2-3 good/great teams a year.

As for the Giants, the decision to throw Manning in was pushing the panic button. The fact is, they won a few games on a great defense, but when that defense started to fall apart due to injuries, their lackluster offense was exposed. I mean, they haven't had a TD pass to a WR all season. Coughlin thought they needed a spark, and he figured that maybe Manning could provide it. He didn't of course. But at the same time, you've got to know that Kurt Warner was nothing but a stopgap for them, and wasn't there to build around in the long term. He knew Manning was their guy of the future when he signed there, so I can't really say I feel sorry for him...

Banned
    Or you could be the Cowboys playing the ancient Testeverde

Internet Linebacker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleetus
    Doesn't really matter in their case, their line totally sucks. You could have Joe Montana behind that line and it wouldn't matter. Honestly, I'd let old man Testeverde stay in and take the beating this year and try to rebuild the line in the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleetus
    lmao,.. Vinnie "The Ancient" Testaverde. That has a certain ring to it.
    Hello World

Home: Eagle River, Alaska Work: Chukchi Sea Alaska
    Ever once in a while you do get that outstanding fresh meat QB that is kwik to take the reins and is able to run with it. Big Ben this year, Dan Marino was able to do it. Peyton Manning came in his rookie year and was thrown to the meat grinder and put up very decent #'s, but his TD/Int ratio wasn't great.
    Remember though for every jewel you get like Big Ben, Manning or Marino you get a Ryan Leaf or Rich Mirer!
    I only post using 100% recycled electrons!!!

Stay on the bomb run, boys. I'm going to get them doors open if it hair lips everybody on Bear Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by meatwad
    Actually Wrrby. He lost the second one. For some reason I remember that vividly.
    Oh yeah! That's right. I do remember that one too. That was a great moment in sports history to see the St Louis retards get soundly beat by the mighty Patriots led by San Mateo, California's own Tom Brady. That was a great game.
    Hello World

Quote Originally Posted by Major Kong
    ...Remember though for every jewel you get like Big Ben, Manning or Marino you get a Ryan Leaf or Rich Mirer!
    Oh yeah,.. I totally agree.

Btw,.. I guess Elway was a youngster when he started out too. Same as Montana. Maybe I'm just getting older or something, but It just seems strange to see 22, 23, 24 year old starting quarterbacks in the NFL. Totally inexperienced rookies making all sorts of bad decisions left and right. Takes the fun out of the game to watch the inexperience imo.
    Hello World

Internet Linebacker
    Elway sucked *** and got benched his rookie year. In most cases, if a rook has a 1:1.5 TD:INT ratio, he's doing all right.