Antivirus software compared?

Thread: Antivirus software compared?

Antivirus software compared?

I remember somebody posting a link to a site a while back that had compared antivirus programs effectiveness at detecting and removing viruses/worms and trojans. Does anyone know what site I'm talking about that was posted here?

I'm using AVG 7 on one of my systems now and I just ran a complete system test and AVG didn't detect a thing, went to symantec and downloaded and ran their online virus scanner with it showing the system clean. Then I went to trendmicro and downloaded housecall, housecall detected 4 viruses. Housecall could only delete the files detected to be infected. Then I went to panda's website and downloaded their online antivirus scanner and panda detected 6 more viruses, cleaned 2, quarantined 4.

So if the above is true, AVG 7 and Symantec Security check (NAV) missed 10 viruses, trendmicro detected 4 and Panda detected 6, cleaned 2 and quarantined 4 which I deleted. I'd like to know what other people have experienced using this type of method of scanning. Has anyone else found that AVG missed some infected files?
    Sometimes the light’s all shinin’ on me;
    Other times I can barely see.
    Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it’s been.

Oh yeah, forgot to say. The system tested is running on Windows ME. I use Firefox as a browser but I had to use IE 6 to run the online scanners.

I don't know of a site that compares/rates/tests them. But from my own experience, McAfee 8 has served me well (I hope).
    Hello World

There is no perfect AV Humilliation.

NAV is always recommended, cause in my experience with it, its been a good performer, consistently, and the new 2005 version is alot better also, the ownly downside to it is the cost, and the resources it takes, plus long FULL scan times.

The thing with AVG FREE is that youre getting the new updates later than everyone else, unless u get the PRO version.

Avast seems to be really popular and recommended now, plus its FREE.

Maximum PC did a side by side comparison recently between AVG, NAV and MacAfee. However they don't have the article on their site, they have the reviews here which are pretty much the same thing. Download.com has alotta reviews on their site, but I don't think they cover the free ones.

Alotta AntiVirus programs detect spyware as viruses, which may account for your different results. I tend to not want my AV to worry about spyware, because I would prefer an AntiSpyware app like Adaware or Spybot to take care of them for me.
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archiv...ucts.xml?table
    http://www.pcnineoneone.com/reviews/sw/nod32.html

There are lots of reviews if you look round and some may be more biased than others all you can do in the end is go by the recommendations of other users and a reminder no antivirus is guaranteed to be 100% effective 100% of the time.
    Its just one part of your system security taken as a whole.If you can prevent the vast majority entering in the first place then thats half the battle won before the scanner is even implemented.
    Last edited by Archer; December 30th, 2004 at 07:14 AM.

Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Thanks for the links people.