2 Types of Ram in Shuttle mobo

Thread: 2 Types of Ram in Shuttle mobo

Post 2 Types of Ram in Shuttle mobo

I've got a buddy who tried to put both 72 pin simms and 168 pin dimms in a "HOT 591-P Shuttle Spacewalker" motherboard. Sinc it has slots for both I guess he thought it would work. However, now it won't boot. Using one kind or the other it still just beeps. I even tried some new ram and no joy. I guess my question is, would doing that screw up the board? It says right in the manual for the board not to. I made a big point of showing it to him but all he wants is for me to fix it. I haven't run into this before. Is there a fix? I doubt it but I have to ask.

Thanx

marko
    Good... bad... I'm the guy with the gun!
    -Ashley J. Williams

yeah, this could be something to do with the different types of ram working at different voltages, possibly shorting the board, i think someone like Ruslan will be able to give u more info.
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

One of my friends did exactly the same thing, had a mobo with two types of RAM slots, filled them all (this is a BIG NO-NO), then his computer wouldn't boot after that, even if he took all the RAM out. Fried his mobo, and had to get a new one. For somebody on a fixed income, this guy sure likes to fool around with expensive computer equipment a lot.

At the very minimum your gonna be dealing with minor memory errors bugging you all the time. Worst case scenario would be what Macgyver gave ya.
    I dont feel tardy...

Here is FAQ about that motherboard:
    http://www.spacewalker.com/english/faq_e/591p_.htm#hd001

Although VIA chipsets allows to mix both type of memory,I would not recommend to mix them. It will slow down chipset-to-memory-read/write perfomance.
    As addition, some of motherboards have weak voltage regulators (especially if they are is analogous voltage regulators).

[off-topic]
    Officially Intel TX motherboards doesn't allow to mix different types of memory, but personally have seen quite a few motherboards with mixed config worked fine.
    Even more,everyone knows, what it is impossible to mix EDO and FPM memory in the same memory bank, but I recently saw PC (Acorp-5TX29 i430TX motherboard) with that config. Unbelievable - but it worked!
    Keep Your eyes OPEN [/END of off-topic]

About subject...I would recommend to check memory slots - may be, some of slot's pins were broken or shorted when You did insert the SIMMs. Then check 3,3V voltage regulator - may be transistor-regulator is fried.

Besides that, it is worth to update BIOS to the latest one - it can also solve some of memory compatibility problems.
    Good luck!

My motherboard(k7s5a) also has slots for 2 types of ram DDR and SDRAM. The book says not to mix them, just curious if anyone has done it with success.
    Current Specs
    1*Asus Maximus Formula, Q6600, 4GB DDR2, BFG 8600 GTS OC2, Raptor 80Gb, XP 32/64 bit, Vista 32/64 bit
    2*Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, Athlon64X2 4200+, 2GB DDR, PX6800GT, Raptor 80Gb, 400Gb, 320Gb, 300Gb, XP Pro + Vista
    3*Asus K8V-MX, Sempron 3000+, 512Mb DDR, 80Gb Raptor, 80Gb IDE, XP Pro
    4*HP Pavillion, Athlon64 3400+, 1.5GB RAM, Geforce 440 GO 64M, 80Gb IDE, XP Pro
    http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...az/userbar.gif

I had a lot of experience with that board when i first started a few years ago, but i never tried mixing memory. There are a lot of jumpers on that board, and memory is one of them if i recall correctly. Make sure the jumpers are set properly for the type of mem youre using and also manually set the CPU voltage (take off that big 5 wide jumper set and use individual ones) instead of leaving it on auto. If that doenst work, take the battery out for a while then put it back in. If youre still dead then, you know you've got problems.....
    "give a man a fish, and he will eat a meal, teach a man to fish...."

Talking

Just want to say Thank You to everyone for your assistance and especially to RUSLAN !!!! It turned out to be a bent pin in one of the simm slots just like Ruslan said it could be. It's something I should have thought of myself but didn't. The board works fine now (I'm using it to type this). I'm not going to try to populate both types of slots so I can't say if it would work or not.

Thanks Again,

marko

PS. Gawd,I love this place!!!!
    Good... bad... I'm the guy with the gun!
    -Ashley J. Williams

[quote]Originally posted by marko731:
    Just want to say Thank You to everyone for your assistance and especially to RUSLAN !!!!

yep, Ruslan is the man
    take care and tempt not the fates

[quote]Originally posted by Raffaz:
    My motherboard(k7s5a) also has slots for 2 types of ram DDR and SDRAM. The book says not to mix them, just curious if anyone has done it with success.

um hey im a tweaker myself, but i gotta ask, what's the point? it would at least slow it down. and possibly do real bad to your mobo
    So, so busy lately. Oh, where do I start?

[quote]Originally posted by marko731:
    Just want to say Thank You to everyone for your assistance and especially to RUSLAN !!!!

Told you so!

[quote]Originally posted by Garak:

Told you so!

LoL!
    Cheers!

[quote]Originally posted by Ruslan:

LoL!
    Cheers!

np Ruslan, get ur av in the steam room