Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Turn off postcount

31 41.89%
  • Keep it on

43 58.11%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Post count - on or off?

I going to have to agree with others. Leave the count and take Techville out of the count if possible. A way to rate replies would be more helpful to members more than a simple post count.
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

I'd have to agree that a post count is part of the character of a forum, but it would probably be good if posts in the Lounge didn't add to the count. Almost any status or rating system can be subject to abuse.

Leave it on, however remove politicos/lounge/non technical threads from post count.
    "Today is a Gift, thats why they call it the present"

Quote Originally Posted by corturbra
    Leave it on, however remove politicos/lounge/non technical threads from post count.
    This would appear to be the common theme now!
    There's no panic like the panic you momentarily feel when you've got
    your hand or head stuck in something

Quote Originally Posted by gazzak
    This would appear to be the common theme now!
    No way man, keep it on for all posts, padding or otherwise!

Here's what I think, for what it's worth.

I don't think anyone who has posted more than twice in the WD forums associates post count with their worth as a technician, network admin or sysadmin. It is not indicative of a member's activity in problem solving and answering technical issues.

It does however indicate how much a member is involved in the WD Forums - regardless of which section they participate in. That translates into a fairly accurate idea of how much effort a member has put into this community.

This may come as a surprise to most people, but I have another account here through which I answer technical questions. This was the best way I could see to dissassociate my current reputation as "adept, WOTPP freak" with the fact that I can, did and still do answer technical posts. I find my advice with this other account is taken much more seriously and is appreciated, while most anything I post through this one is disregarded unless it is trivial drivel.

I also find that my questions as "adept" are rarely successfully answered...

But I digress...

Do post counts make the man?

Of course not.

But I do think that a rating system in addition to the current post count tally would achieve a better purpose than to potentially penalize those who prefer to come here only for the interaction with peers, to kick back and relax with buddies instead of rack their brain to try to answer yet another tech problem.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Banned
    I voted to get rid of them. STarted more fights then anything else round here.

Didn't read thread, forgive me if this is posted.

Can we have 2 post counts? One for non tech and one for total? That would be a great ranking system for those who help out a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by a d e p t
    Here's what I think, for what it's worth.

I don't think anyone who has posted more than twice in the WD forums associates post count with their worth as a technician, network admin or sysadmin. It is not indicative of a member's activity in problem solving and answering technical issues.

It does however indicate how much a member is involved in the WD Forums - regardless of which section they participate in. That translates into a fairly accurate idea of how much effort a member has put into this community.

This may come as a surprise to most people, but I have another account here through which I answer technical questions. This was the best way I could see to dissassociate my current reputation as "adept, WOTPP freak" with the fact that I can, did and still do answer technical posts. I find my advice with this other account is taken much more seriously and is appreciated, while most anything I post through this one is disregarded unless it is trivial drivel.

I also find that my questions as "adept" are rarely successfully answered...

But I digress...

Do post counts make the man?

Of course not.

But I do think that a rating system in addition to the current post count tally would achieve a better purpose than to potentially penalize those who prefer to come here only for the interaction with peers, to kick back and relax with buddies instead of rack their brain to try to answer yet another tech problem.

OK, it's 2 posts above mine. Have a ranking system based on any post outside techville that shows how much help you've given. That would be the best thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleetus
    I voted to get rid of them. STarted more fights then anything else round here.
    And what's wrong with an accelerant

I must agree with the general consensus here. Keep the post count but figure out a way to keep the non-techy posts out, if possible.

I don't like the ranking system as I have seen those abused any number of ways. And, it is all subjective anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by DonJ
    ...I don't like the ranking system as I have seen those abused any number of ways. And, it is all subjective anyway.
    And post counts are not?

Seriously, if one wanted to increase post counts without the Lounge or Politicos or event the News being taken into account, they could surf in, pretending to reply to questions but not adding anything useful, or simply answer "right on - that's what I would have said" and voila: postount = postcount + 1.

That's why I never took post counts to be indicative of technical merit, or understand why removing them from these sections would improve anything at all.

Another .02$ CAN.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

I was never bothered by WOTPP, and postcounts really do show how active the member is in the community, not how skilled/intelligent they are. I've been visiting for months and I have never assumed that a high post count EVER meant the person's advice was any better than a person who's first post was this one. In fact, it took me a while to figure out that the postcount was the current postcount of the user and not a sequential postcount tag.

Keep the postcount, it doesn't hurt anybody.

you need a system of merit on tech issues like : to what degree did this post help solve your problem?

1. cleared everything up, including my sinuses
    2. mostly fixed
    3. control panel? where's the entrance to that on the tower?
    My New Year's resolution: to be intolerant towards those who are intolerant of me, that'll learn 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by Vergence
    I was never bothered by WOTPP, and postcounts really do show how active the member is in the community, not how skilled/intelligent they are. I've been visiting for months and I have never assumed that a high post count EVER meant the person's advice was any better than a person who's first post was this one. In fact, it took me a while to figure out that the postcount was the current postcount of the user and not a sequential postcount tag.

Keep the postcount, it doesn't hurt anybody.
    Adept, is this you?