OMG we got HD cable TV today and it is awesome... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: OMG we got HD cable TV today and it is awesome...

Quote Originally Posted by thirdfey
    Would not be a bad thing to own. But I was in a TV place last weekend and the salesguy was making a pitch to a customer to buy a projection lcd tv because you get almost plasma quailty at a cheaper price and then he said something that stuck in my mind, "plus this tv will last longer because it doesn't have the lifespan of a plasma tv." Plasma's have a lifespan? damn

Oh, and I read up on DLP. Damn you pmetal for mentioning it......
    Glad I could help!!

Have you thought about a projector? They have DLP projectors as well. Sweeeeet!!

Here's a good site to check out. They have some very knowledgable people in the forums.
    Wives are like jobs,

It's easier to find one when you already have one

yeah, i was already looking at some dell projectors which happened to be dlp. i'll check out that site.
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    I have a two year old Sony 51 in. widescreen HD Rear Projection. It is great with HD cable. I only get about 10 channels of HD and many shows are not in HD even on the ones I get.
    I wouldn't buy a plasma unless I really had big bucks. Great picture but short lifetime (somewhere between 3-6 years you will have lost 50 percent of your brightness).

I have heard the DLP RPTV's are great and If they come down to about a $1000 for a 51 inch I might consider upgrading.

I can't wait for HD DVD's
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

Plasma's have a general life (from what i've read) of 60,000 hrs. Thats the extreme end yes.

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/p...-lifespan.html

Quote Originally Posted by pmetal
    Glad I could help!!

Have you thought about a projector? They have DLP projectors as well. Sweeeeet!!

Here's a good site to check out. They have some very knowledgable people in the forums.
    Damnit, I'm ruined now
    Time to turn back to my friend who has always been there with me through the tough times

Ok, So now I find out that even if I buy a 1080i HDTV it may not actually be a 1080i picture I am getting but something compressed down to the TV's native resolution. So a Dell projector with native resolution 1024x768 is not going to be true 1080i which sucks because I was really looking forward to getting the projector.

All I want is true 1080i TV/projector for less than $2000 out the door with a good picture that I can watch for another 4-5 years. Is that too much to ask for? Porqué?!?!?!

The crt rear projection came out quite well I thought in this article

Price/benefit says the crt rear projection has a big advantage.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

ok, i'll go to best buy and look at the regular projection hdtv's. maybe even circuitcity

Quote Originally Posted by thirdfey
    Damnit, I'm ruined now
    Time to turn back to my friend who has always been there with me through the tough times

Ok, So now I find out that even if I buy a 1080i HDTV it may not actually be a 1080i picture I am getting but something compressed down to the TV's native resolution. So a Dell projector with native resolution 1024x768 is not going to be true 1080i which sucks because I was really looking forward to getting the projector.

All I want is true 1080i TV/projector for less than $2000 out the door with a good picture that I can watch for another 4-5 years. Is that too much to ask for? Porqué?!?!?!
    I'm not sure of this but isn't 1024x768 what 1080i shows? So you would get the full 1080i (I have to look this up again).
    btw for things with a lot of motion like football 720p is slightly better.

EDIT: I think the 1024x768 is 720 and 1920x1080 for 1080. If you get the Dell I believe it will take the 1080i and convert it to 720p so what you lose in definition you gain in smoothness of action. Most Plasmas are only capable of 720p at best (many won't even do 720p).
    Last edited by techs; January 4th, 2005 at 04:35 PM.
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin

I have a high def plasma and DVD. I choose to use 720p over 1080i because it seems better to my eye. Motion is better represented by a progressive signal which is what most television is all about.

http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/terms/progressive.cfm

http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5107912-1.html

720p - 720 progressive. One of two currently used formats designated as high-definition television in the ATSC DTV standard, this technology comprises 720 vertical pixels and 1,280 horizontal pixels. The p stands for progressive, as opposed to interlaced, scanning, which is used in the other accepted HDTV standard, known as 1080i. Contrary to myth, 720p is not inferior to 1080i; 720p has fewer lines but also has the advantages of progressive scanning and a constant vertical resolution of 720 lines, making it better able to handle motion.

1080i - 1080 interlaced; one of two formats designated as high-definition television in the ATSC DTV standard, with 1,080 vertical pixels by 1,920 horizontal pixels. The i stands for interlaced, as opposed to progressive scanning, used in the second HDTV standard, 720p. Contrary to myth, 1080i is not superior to 720p; 1080i has more scanning lines but also suffers the disadvantages of interlaced scanning.
    And Control Enter STILL wont let me post a reply.

Quote Originally Posted by scutterboy
    I have a high def plasma and DVD. I choose to use 720p over 1080i because it seems better to my eye. Motion is better represented by a progressive signal which is what most television is all about.

http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/terms/progressive.cfm

http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5107912-1.html

720p - 720 progressive. One of two currently used formats designated as high-definition television in the ATSC DTV standard, this technology comprises 720 vertical pixels and 1,280 horizontal pixels. The p stands for progressive, as opposed to interlaced, scanning, which is used in the other accepted HDTV standard, known as 1080i. Contrary to myth, 720p is not inferior to 1080i; 720p has fewer lines but also has the advantages of progressive scanning and a constant vertical resolution of 720 lines, making it better able to handle motion.

1080i - 1080 interlaced; one of two formats designated as high-definition television in the ATSC DTV standard, with 1,080 vertical pixels by 1,920 horizontal pixels. The i stands for interlaced, as opposed to progressive scanning, used in the second HDTV standard, 720p. Contrary to myth, 1080i is not superior to 720p; 1080i has more scanning lines but also suffers the disadvantages of interlaced scanning.
    If you get a line doubler I wonder if t.v.'s could show a 1080p?

Look at this info too.
    http://alvyray.com/DigitalTV/Naming_Proposal.htm

Line doublers can look good on a really clean feed but they also double any dodgy input so poor images can look worse.
    And Control Enter STILL wont let me post a reply.

I got my Samsung HD a year ago, and it has a wonderful picture, when it gets the right signal. Some of my DVD's are superb, and Sunday night I got some HD from PBS about some ecosystem in the Balkans that just blew my shoes off!

First thing I saw on it when I got it was the Janet Jackson/Superbowl wardrobe thingy. And sometimes when I am doing remote desktop, I use it for a monitor.
    If only you knew what's inside of me now,
    You wouldn't want to know me, somehow.

Ain't nothing like the DiscoveryHD channel !
    The Moral Majority is neither.

Master Sargent - WOTPP

Anybody checked out VOOM yet?

All HD, all the time
    Wives are like jobs,

It's easier to find one when you already have one