VPN Question

Thread: VPN Question

Middle of Nowhere and 1 mile north, in Alberta, CANADA

VPN Question

Okay, here's the scenario, I play an online game that requires (not so much requires, but its best) you to connect from the same ip adress to prevent cheating (so you don't run mulitple accounts)

So, I'm wanting to connect from work or other various locations to my home pc's ip address

I could connect through remote access or something, but I don't really need to get control of the computer, what I need is to basically just use the ip address

Sooo, my question is, is VPN a good solution? or is there something easier? I also wouldn't mind being able to gain access to files on my network but if there is an easier solution for connecting to my home ISP, I wouldn't care if I could access my files or not

from what I have read so far, I am thinking VPN might be a good choice, but I haven't ever done much with VPN's

Thanks
    Never let the facts get in the way of a carefully thought out bad idea!

VPN tends to add a certain lag to everything due to the time needed to encrypt/decrypt the packets, depending on your base bandwidth and how it's implemented. But it would acheive your goal. What game uses ip addresses, most home users are on DHCP from their ISP and their IP canges periodically anyway......
    "give a man a fish, and he will eat a meal, teach a man to fish...."

Middle of Nowhere and 1 mile north, in Alberta, CANADA
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahcoraj
    VPN tends to add a certain lag to everything due to the time needed to encrypt/decrypt the packets, depending on your base bandwidth and how it's implemented. But it would acheive your goal. What game uses ip addresses, most home users are on DHCP from their ISP and their IP canges periodically anyway......

basically the problem is if two people check from the same network, it logs the ip's and notices they are the same, and assumes you are trying to cheat
    Never let the facts get in the way of a carefully thought out bad idea!

Ahcoraj is right about the lagtime, but if you need to use your home IP address from work, i could see a scenario where from work...

you VPN to home and you run a proxy server at home. Then you set your work PC to use that proxy server.

But I don't really have any advice on how you'd setup the vpn, other then thru Win2k server.

And you're at work, ummmm shouldn't you be working?
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

Just use somebodies dynamic dns services ? Like so ?

Not to be a.....

killjoy but I would check with your ISP to see if they allow VPN (I know it sounds stupid). I tried setting up a vpn tunnel from my house to work once (Watchguard SoHo @ home, Watchguard Firebox @ Work) and they had something like port 500 blocked, which Watchguard uses.....Like I said, Stupid huh?? But I'm sure there are other ports that can be used, like ip 50, ip 51 and udp 10000. Also another thing to think about, do you REALLY want to connect your home network and work network for security reasons, viruses going both ways and things of that nature. Better look into things like disabling split tunneling or just allowing certain traffic across the vpn. Just for some of those reasons we have been getting away from vpn for our users and sticking them onto a terminal server. Just a few things to think about......

AH
    Another Fun Game of Marco Polo in the Shallow End of the Gene Pool......

Quote Originally Posted by amadeus_hack
    killjoy but I would check with your ISP to see if they allow VPN (I know it sounds stupid). I tried setting up a vpn tunnel from my house to work once (Watchguard SoHo @ home, Watchguard Firebox @ Work) and they had something like port 500 blocked, which Watchguard uses.....Like I said, Stupid huh?? But I'm sure there are other ports that can be used, like ip 50, ip 51 and udp 10000. Also another thing to think about, do you REALLY want to connect your home network and work network for security reasons, viruses going both ways and things of that nature. Better look into things like disabling split tunneling or just allowing certain traffic across the vpn. Just for some of those reasons we have been getting away from vpn for our users and sticking them onto a terminal server. Just a few things to think about......

AH
    OK, so IPsec traffic was blocked...had you tried PPTP?

enable 1 port tcp 1733 i think....
    System Specs

486DX2
    16MB RAM
    16 MB RAM
    1MB vid RAM
    Windows 3.1