Post count experiment - Page 6
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Post count experiment

Quote Originally Posted by kato2274
    no one is going to take away the lounge, or your threads. the posts just won't count.

are you seriously telling us that the number under your name is so friggin important that you wouldn't participate if it didn't increase with your participation. that's just ridiculous and childish IMO. As of writing this response I have no godly clue exactly what my post count is. probably around 1500 or something. I don't know and don't care. I pariticipate because I enjoy it and like to contribute....whether it be a technical answer, a bit of humor or another perspective in a discussion. If someone told me that wouldn't count my posts, it wouldn't stop me from participating.

You weren't one of the people who I would thought would display the "I'm taking my ball and going home" attitude.

I propose and Idea. since obviously post count is so important to adept, I suggest we find a way to just make the number under his name appear as the infinity symbol....that way he can feel good about his participation
    So its not important to you , so what .
    Maybe it is to and others , has many forums as I've been to and belong
    Post Count is important , it tells how much they par-take in the forums , be it tech questions or help or lounge and might be trust worthy , it has always been that way and will always be that way .
    As you said a high post count doesn't mean they know more but you know others should kind-of know them some and aren't being flamed everywhere then its fairly safe to listen to them . Also how do you know that the person answering your tech question is trustworthy if they have no post count but been there 3yrs , they could have 10 posts in all that time and know nothing but might they might be drunk or high and decided to answer something but the Noob doesn't know anything about them without any thing to go by .
    "you can Log out - but you can never leave" : DMO
    What part of WOOF don't you understand ? Wolf
    -----------------------------------
    (Sergeant) Private Military Strategy Consultant
    FormatAndReload.com

Quote Originally Posted by GrandDad
    So its not important to you , so what .
    Maybe it is to and others , has many forums as I've been to and belong
    Post Count is important , it tells how much they par-take in the forums , be it tech questions or help or lounge and might be trust worthy , it has always been that way and will always be that way .
    As you said a high post count doesn't mean they know more but you know others should kind-of know them some and aren't being flamed everywhere then its fairly safe to listen to them . Also how do you know that the person answering your tech question is trustworthy if they have no post count but been there 3yrs , they could have 10 posts in all that time and know nothing but might they might be drunk or high and decided to answer something but the Noob doesn't know anything about them without any thing to go by .
    I'm trying to make sense of all this but having a really hard time

post count is important when we are talking about - as you said - PARTICIPATING in a forum. adding something meaningful to it. I'm not talking strictly technical, but even in the lounge. add something meaningful to the discourse in a discussion. add some humor, console a bud whose having a rough time.

IMO "PAD" "+1" and the equivalent padding activities add nothing of quality to the forum. it's just being done to puff up someone's post count and / or ego and it's pretty stupid.....and essentially spam. not much different than what freddy did . . . . more or less.
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

...post count is important when we are talking about - as you said - PARTICIPATING in a forum. adding something meaningful to it. I'm not talking strictly technical, but even in the lounge. add something meaningful to the discourse in a discussion. add some humor, console a bud whose having a rough time.

IMO "PAD" "+1" and the equivalent padding activities add nothing of quality to the forum. it's just being done to puff up someone's post count and / or ego and it's pretty stupid.....and essentially spam. ...
    I couldn't agree with you more. Therefore, I must have misunderstood the flame you seemed to send Adept's way.
    When I joined here, it was my first BB. And, the unwritten rule seemed to be: "No post padding"
    And, to my mind it was just what you mentioned above that caused all the "fights", and that is a damn shame. Why? Because post count IS important, as I related in my post in the poll.
    The "old timers" made it so, and I don't think that part has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    It being?

The lounge there appears to be new...147 threads only.... nice to see a fellow MVP as a supermod though!

There are several MVP qualified mods and active regular contribution from other members.Yes the lounge is new and still in trial mode for the same reasons that this lounge sparodically suffers.

no one is going to take away the lounge, or your threads. the posts just won't count.

are you seriously telling us that the number under your name is so friggin important that you wouldn't participate if it didn't increase with your participation. that's just ridiculous and childish IMO. As of writing this response I have no godly clue exactly what my post count is. probably around 1500 or something. I don't know and don't care. I pariticipate because I enjoy it and like to contribute....whether it be a technical answer, a bit of humor or another perspective in a discussion. If someone told me that wouldn't count my posts, it wouldn't stop me from participating.

You weren't one of the people who I would thought would display the "I'm taking my ball and going home" attitude.

I propose and Idea. since obviously post count is so important to adept, I suggest we find a way to just make the number under his name appear as the infinity symbol....that way he can feel good about his participation

How about you back the F away and heed your own suggestion of contributing something meaningful - not just mean.

If it isn't all that important to you, why take the time and energy to speak out against it and my personal opinion on this?

I'm in no mood to dance around with platitudes right now.
    Last edited by a d e p t; January 7th, 2005 at 07:05 PM.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

For the record - the MindTrap game had been aimed at a 500 questions milestone for weeks now.

It's just sheer coincindence that this is happening at the same time.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by a d e p t
    How about you back the F away and heed your own suggestion of contributing something meaningful - not just mean.

If it isn't all that important to you, why take the time and energy to speak out against it and my personal opinion on this?

I'm in no mood to dance around with platitudes right now.

I'm not being mean adept. . . . this isn't even close to mean. trust me. and my post WAS meaningful. it added another perspective to the discussion. it was certainly more meaningful than +1 or post count = post count + 1....

come on dude. you are one of the most intelligent, sensible, and down to earth guys here and you're getting worked up over a NUMBER.
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    (NooNoo) Are you photolady???
    I've thought of photolady as VirtualDR's NooNoo...

photolady is good with applications especially graphics, doesn't have the technical nous of our NooNoo though.

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus
    I've thought of photolady as VirtualDR's NooNoo...

photolady is good with applications especially graphics, doesn't have the technical nous of our NooNoo though.
    That's no bad thing, we ought to get together then, because I can't draw fer err toffeee, yeah can't draw for toffee!

I have bought in the sales psp 8 and a book on how to use it... as college work also includes design work this year. I had no idea that my marks would be threatened because I have little sense for picture composition. This is supposed to be computing, not freaking art!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I had that problem, with my web design class, and my Photoshop class, no art talent in me, but had to do something for grade.

Just passing by!!!

Banned
    lame +1?????

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    we ought to get together then
    I'm sure photolady would be happy to have a word with a fellow Mod, tell her Platypus sent you

Some folk could be good for help here too:

http://amazingtechs.com/index.php?showforum=13

Quote Originally Posted by a d e p t
    The Way of The Post Pad will, in effect, end without the Lounge as no other activity would be acceptable in other areas, IMO...

Let's just say it's hard not to feel singled out by these propositions and the comments supporting them.
    In wotpp guru mode : EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK ! I'm having none of this ... You never really did get 'teh way' did you ? The whole point of that was to turn lizards in humans ! (note you'll actually have had to read the whole thread to get that joke - another aspect of 'teh way' ) & though post count as I've said previously said reflects a certain amount of effort wherever done, is was never the sole point of wotpp'ing - I'm sure sentiment is expressed here in this thread about 'bringing' being good all around & that was/is for me 'teh way' & if you ask me this way makes it better ![end of taking matters far too seriously ]

& on the second point, I think when you fully 'get' my guru ramblings above you might read only some of the comments as 'having a poke' & a lot more of them dwelling on the notion that post count is only a number ..

& sadly NOT for a wotpp, but being prosaic & helpful towards people who'd actually like real questions answered..

Errr can we fix up the views then Noo ?, so that I can technically wotpp still at least ?

Both view new posts & view last 48hrs, show non technical stuff, lets get one of them please to just show technical stuff only (prefereably last 48 hrs - but I'd like the link back that was the last week's worth really !)