LaserJet 5n, and Jetdirect

Thread: LaserJet 5n, and Jetdirect

LaserJet 5n, and Jetdirect

Hey peoples. Got a LaserJet 5n with a Jetdirect in it at version A.05.05. Have been trying to get it to work as an NDPS printer, but it absolutely refuses to co-operate with the network ;-) If I set the printer for an IP thru the config menus, it worked for about 3 minutes. I made the NDPS object and could ping the printer. As I sent a test page to it, I got blasted with a "79 Service(9208)" on the display. A search of HP's site tells me that my image data is too large in the document and to make it smaller, or that I am attempting to push external fonts to it. Neither of which I am doing. I have attempted this on 2 of the same printers with the same results, so it must be a config problem. If I set the printer to use BootP(no DHCP wasn't an option on those models) to get an IP, it won't pick one up. Any ideas?

Augurr

10 views, no thoughts?

The HP - JetDirect printers I have on my Novell network are setup with just pure TCP\IP with no problems. I did some poking around and found this at Novells site : http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tools/1436.html maybe that will be of some help.

HP LaserJet 5/5m/5n Series Printers - Numerical Printer Error Messages/Parts Predict

Control Panel Message: 79 SERVICE XXXX

Description: Datacomm error

Action: The firmware has detected a hardware failure within the formatter. This failure can be caused by defective MIO devices, communication ports, or cables.

CAUTION: Because all service manuals point to the formatter as the issue customers and service technicians will always want to replace the formatter before any troubleshooting. Resist this push and troubleshoot the issue. Establish that the issue is hardware before replacing the formatter.

For more information and troubleshooting steps, refer to the document HP Jetdirect Print Servers - 80, 81, 82, 86, and 87 Service Errors, General Troubleshooting

Turn the printer off. Disconnect all communication cables and MIO cards. Turn the printer back on.
    Run extended formatter diagnostics from the Service Mode Menu to troubleshoot the failure.
    Also, notice the link on the left for Drivers, etc.

Also, Basic HP Jetdirect Troubleshooting Lot's of good info there.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by DonJ; January 7th, 2005 at 08:15 PM.

Thanks for the attempts guys, but maybe I didn't make myself clear. The problem is not Novell related, but what I am thinking is an HP problem. I was basically just wondering if anyone had seen this error before or anything like it.

HP LJ5 & 79 Service (9208) error

Augurr, you're not alone. I have identical symptoms from a LJ 5. Seems to work fine for direct IP printing, but as soon as I create an iPrint/NDPS definition and the NDPS Manager polls that printer the error pops up. I don't even have to try printing to it. Only a power cycle on the printer will restore it to use without the error. I've removed the NDPS object from the NDPS Manager and the printer does not error out. I'm using the Novel Gateway but maybe I'll try the HP gateway.

Quote Originally Posted by Augurr
    Got a LaserJet 5n with a... "79 Service(9208)" on the display. Augurr

Thumbs up Fix for 79 SERVICE (9208) error on HP LJ5

Okay, here is the fix I've used:

Reinstalled iPrint/NDPS defintion for HP LJ 5 printer but selected port 9100 instead of LPR. Upon completion of the object creation, I accessed the printer agent from the NDPS Manager. Select the PA in question, go through Configuration - Configuration Utilities - Hewlett Packard IP/IPX Printer Gateway then complete setup and point to the appropriate IP address. Now I no longer get the 79 SERVICE (9208) error, and I've added this PA to several desktops and successfully printed to it.