WiFi -> Router -> Dial-up

Thread: WiFi -> Router -> Dial-up

WiFi -> Router -> Dial-up

Ok all here the scoop:

Have a note book user (read in owner of company) that wants to use his wireless ready notebook to connect to the internet over Dial in. (there are not broad band solutions avalible at the location)

So unless someone knows of a reputable manufacture of WiFi Hubs that have a modem for PPP dialin heres the plan:

Connect Wifi Hub to Cisco 1600 Router (old units from our old ISDN WAN) over the 10 base T interface. Connect the Serial0 to the serial on and external modem (wich we also have).

Netoebook ~ WiFi -> Router -> Modem

Currently there are a few holdups:

1. I home have a V.35 cable, but I have an adapter to DB25, i doubt that it will work in connecting the Modem to the Router, but its worth it to try as the cable Cisco says I need is $110 US.

2. Im going to spend the weekend relearning CCNP as i have forgotten how to do this (or if it can even be done!)

So if you have any input regarding WiFi->dialup devices, or the router config please post a reply.

R
    Powered by: AMD Opeteron 175, 2 GB Mushkin XP4000, eVGA 7800 GT CO OC SLI, Creative X-Fi, WD25000 RAID 0, Plextor 716-SA, Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe, Enermax Liberty 620, Zalman 9500 HS

There are some wireless ADSL modem/routers that have a back up modem connection for dial up I think Draytek make one.

Something like this might work.
    Last edited by Archer; January 7th, 2005 at 06:55 PM.

3Com used to make a couple LAN Modems that did the trick like this dual modem one or this single modem one.

But it looks like they're discontinued now, but maybe you want to zero in on a LAN Modem.

Or check Ebay.
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

Most of those look good, but some look like they are for ISDN.

Also the cost of new, where they are not discontinued is kind of out of what were looking to spend on this, as we still have to get a Wi-Fi hub to connect it to (aka the LAN Modem part is worth the same as the Cisco cable)

oh well, thanks for hte Info guys, I'll keep it in mind for Monday when Im back at this problem.