network problems

Thread: network problems

network problems

I have a small home network with 2 pc and a laptop.
    On one computer I cannot get an ip address. When I check the ip address it just has 0.0.0.0.
    I can boot into linux and it works fine.
    I'm running windows XP home on all three computers.

Another thing I have noticed, when I got to the set up network wizard. It wants to pick connect through another computer with an internet connection. It says it has found an unknown internet connection.

I cannot find any reference to a unknow connection.

I have tried running the setup home netword wizard on all computers and power them off, but they still want to connect to the internet throught another computer.

The two computers that get an ip can see each other and share files.

Thanks for any help
    The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once............Buckaroo Banzai

What sort of network are you running? Wireless, Wifi, Hub, Router? And what kind of internet connection and how is it shared. More details please.

I'm running a wireles network throught a netgear router. It connect throught a dsl modem. All three computers are running XP home edition.

When I try and do a repair connection on the one that doesn't get an ip address, it says not able to renew ip address contact ISP.

But if I boot it up in Linux it will get an ip address. So, something is messed up in XP.

I had it set up for all three computers to connect through the router and not throught and computer sharing an internet connection.
    The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once............Buckaroo Banzai

Is DHCP Client turned on in the Services control panel?

If this is off it won't get an IP address.

Control Panel > Adminisrative tools > Services

Startup type should say automatic, status should say started.

If not right click select properties to set startup type, clilck ok, right click again select start.
    "Really???
    What Fun Is A Computer That Works?!?"

PLEASE! Do not mistake my laziness for lack of concern!

Proud member of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

[QUOTE=charlescpc]I'm running a wireles network throught a netgear router. It connect throught a dsl modem. All three computers are running XP home edition.

NetGear does not look kindly on using Windows XP Network Wizard.
    I think they prefer that you use the NetGear version...

Regards...

I just checked the services running and dhcp is running and it's set for automatic.

I just hooked an ethernet cable to the router and it works fine. It just messed up someway with the wireless.

I might have to figure out how to assign it a static ip address. I think that might work better.

I'll look at it later.

Luckily I dual boot and have Linux.
    I just I'll just keep playing around.
    Thanks

What wireless NIC are you using?
    Have you installed a seperate configuration utility?
    If yes, you should better disable the "wireless zero configuration service" in the XP services

Higg

I using a netgear router and the wireless nec is also a netgear. It's a wg311t. I installed the netgear wireless utility and use it instead of XP's utility.

I think this has got to be either an XP thing or in the router. Everything works fine in Linux. It also works ok if I disable the wireless and use an ethernet cable to the router. I just can't figure it out.

I might try and look to upgrade the router's firmware and see if that helps.

Thanks Charlie

I got the pc running that was causing me problems, and now the laptop has the same problem. It's giving me the same error message" cannot renew the ip".

I downloaded new firmware for the netgear router. Reset the router( not just powered it off).

I can't figure out if the problem is with XP or with the router. I had a problem with the PC(stated earlier) and when I booted into Linux things were fine. So the router could talk to the pc fine it just couldn't talk to XP.

I guess the next step is to call Netgear and see if they can find anything out. I'm just preparing myself for the long wait on hold. Press 3 if you drive a Chevy. etc.......

Oh yea, I can do the loopback 127.0.0.1 with a ping. And it gives me the ip address of when it's lost. I can't remember the address anymore......

Any ideas.

I have a netgear mr814v2 router. A dell inspiron 1000 laptop running XP Home. I think the wireless card in the laptop is a 1350. Don't have it in front of me.

Just reloaded the laptop with XP Home again and all is well.

I just wish I could have figured out what caused the problem.