Flat Panel Monitor

Thread: Flat Panel Monitor

Flat Panel Monitor

I am in the search for a good flat panel monitor now. I have a ATI 9600SE card with 128MB and DVI outputs. I would like to stay at a 17" since that is what I will be replacing and it also needs to be able to handle gaming well. I don't game much, but when I do, it is intensive games such as Doom 3, HL2, Quake 3, Halo, etc. Got any good suggestions?

Augurr

Edit:
    I did a search afterwards and found some posts about flat panels, but they were 2 years old. I figure they have gotten better and I know they have gotten much cheaper since then.
    Last edited by Augurr; January 9th, 2005 at 11:02 PM.

Hey Augrr, for gaming, most people here would suggest a CRT monitor, cheaper and you can get a bigger size, I on the other hand have been using my ViewSonic for gaming for the last 2 years, and more than happy with it. Get a decent brand, like LG, Sony, ViewSonic, or if you can afford better, then go for it. Also see that its the new spec 10ms or under LCD's, it makes a big difference while gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by TechZ
    Hey Augrr, for gaming, most people here would suggest a CRT monitor, cheaper and you can get a bigger size, I on the other hand have been using my ViewSonic for gaming for the last 2 years, and more than happy with it. Get a decent brand, like LG, Sony, ViewSonic, or if you can afford better, then go for it. Also see that its the new spec 10ms or under LCD's, it makes a big difference while gaming.

Thanks TechZ. Any good places to find a roundup of current FP's? Toms's hasn't had anything since October and well outta my price range.

you got to look a bit but,

http://gameguru.box.sk/
    and xbitlabs, anandtech, tomshardware. All good places to look.

Can 19" LCDs Pass the Frag Test? - LCD vendors claim their new crop of 19" displays are up to par with their 17" wares. But THG past tests show that OEM claims in this space aren't always worth too much. THG put four of BenQ, NEC, Philips and Xerox' 19" finest to the test to see what is and what is not up to snuff for the demanding gamer and film buff.

IMO LCDs are not ready for gaming. I have yet to see an LCD that I was satisfied with for gaming.

We've been selling Iiyama H series LCDs. I really like em alot. Plus they have this cool pivot feature that lets you rotate the screen 90 degrees for word processing and web browsing.

I've used a few LCD's for gamin and still do today, the better brands do a lot better, esp. for gaming. Iiyama are really good.

Well it looks like I have decided on what I'm getting . Decided against the LCD route, though I would love to save the space with flat monitor. Here it is ...

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/n...d_id=AN19JSBLQ

newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...001-166&DEPA=0

I saw it today at BestBuy when looking at flat panels. I saw the screen and was like "whoa! is that a cheap flat panel?" nope .. flat screen crt 19" that looks just as good as most of the LCD's I saw, of which the Sony was most awesome. For $500 it better be. The samsung was only $199 for the 19" or $139 for th 17". The damn thing is so small. It is about 1/2 the size of my current CTX 17" monster. I think it will work perfectly.

Hmmm .. apparently I have 2 accounts ;-) Augurr = Phaeton = Augurr

Dunno know how I managed that one.

Congrats on the new monitor and both a/c's