Any help will be much appreciated.

System :-

Toshiba tecra 9000
MS XP SP2 with latest updates

Problem :-

About 7 days ago (for no obvious reason) no hardware had been added/changed, the last SP2 updates were 15th December, no other software/drivers had been added/changed, I started to get an error message 'One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognise it.' every time a USB device is plugged into either of the 2 USB ports.

The devices I have are

Logitech USB Mouse
Iomega 7 in 1 Floppy drive and card reader
Newlink 4 port powered USB hub
Iomega 52 X 24 X 52 CD/RW
Newlink 256 MB memory stick
LaCie 160 GB external HD
Fuji Finepix 6800 camera cradle

I have borrowed and HD (with XP no SP2 on it) and changed it with the HD on my laptop - all the USB devices work just fine. This says to me the Devices are OK, the drivers (that are required) are OK for XP and the USB ports on the laptop are OK.

When using my HD with XP SP2 + Updates, all of the USB devices are listed in Device Manager.

Intel 82801CA/CAM USB Universal Host Controller -2482
Intel 82801CA/CAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2484
Intel 82801CA/CAM USB Universal Host Controller -2487

USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub

The Host Controllers are using the Microsoft Drivers :-

usbhub.sys
usbport.sys
usbuhci.sys
usbui.dll

File version 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

The Root Hubs are using the Microsoft Drivers:-

usbd.sys
usbhub.sys

File version 5.1.2600.0 (xpclient.010817-1148)

Any device plugged into a USB port shows the error message above and the device is shown in Device Manager as Unknown Device. If you look at Driver Details in Device Manager, a dialog box opens saying 'No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device'.

I have tried deleting all USB devices and let XP reload the Host controllers and Root Hubs. I have deleted and reloaded the USB device drivers (for those that have them). I have started in safe mode.

It seems to me that XP SP2 with updates is not recognising the USB devices properly and is not loading the correct drivers.

Any help, suggestions,advice would be greatly appreciated. I am stuffed without USB support and have ordered a PCMCIA /USB card hoping it will give me a short term solution.

Best regards.