Wireless Router Install With Starband

Thread: Wireless Router Install With Starband

Wireless Router Install With Starband

Has anyone successfully installed a wireless router with STARBAND as the internet access? I am trying to install a Linksys Wireless Router (WRT54G). Lynksys says the router must be connected directly to the STARBAND modem. STARBAND says no, my PC must be connected directly to the modem. I believe STARBAND is correct, but Linksys Easy Install will not configure the router if it is not connected directly to the modem. I have tried 3 different CSRs at Lynksys, but no luck. My OS is Windows XP, SP2. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to windrivers jackal. How does the modem connect - ethernet or usb? If it is a usb modem you will not be able to use it with the router. If it is ethernet, you may be able to connect it directly to the router. The router configuration screen can accommodate many types of logins. If the modem must connect to the pc, you will not be able to use the router. In addition, I bring this to your attention:
    Quote Originally Posted by StarBand
    Can I set up a home network with the StarBand® satellite modem?
    The StarBand Residential service is intended for Internet connectivity and customer support of a single personal computer connected directly to the StarBand satellite modem. Additional computers, networked in such a way as to utilize the StarBand Residential service and consume additional bandwidth, are not supported by StarBand and may result in service restrictions if the bandwidth usage exceeds permissible levels under the Acceptable Use Policy. Prior to requesting customer service and technical support for the StarBand software installed on the PC connected to the StarBand satellite modem, it will first be necessary to remove any networking software.

Networking multiple PCs to share access to the StarBand Residential service is done solely at the member’s own risk and may invalidate the ability of the StarBand software to function properly. Members who still choose to assume this risk may minimize the impact to the StarBand network and risk of improper functioning of the satellite modem by using the Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) feature in Windows 2000 and Windows XP. REMEMBER: StarBand does not provide any support for networking.

The StarBand 484 Small Office service allows for easier networking with its built-in, 4-port Ethernet router. This modem does not require any networking software to be installed on a computer.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

california, where anyone can be governor!
    yep, i dealt with one of these set ups and there is some translation type software that is on the pc that is the primary connection going out. the people i dealt with were using two computers but they had the computer with starband software on it setup with internet cannection sharing on and then another pc connected to it.

basically, everything has to go through one pc i believe.

and if that one pc is not on.....no internet.....

if anyone else has managed to rig this up i'd like to know though.....

Thanks for the input. I was so disappointed with Linksys customer support that I returned the router for a refund. I then purchased a $10.00 crossover ethernet cable, connected my laptop to my desktop and am now able to connect to STARBAND just fine. Having done this and determined that it all works OK, I'd like to know if I could do it wirelessly by installing a 54g card in my desktop and then connect my 54g equipped laptop to it and successfully access STARBAND. I will only be networking the two computers, so I am assuming no additional hardware would be involved. Almost forgot. Both computers run on XP, SP2. Thanks guys.

Smile Starband & WRT54G WORKS!

Jackal,

I saw your post and couldn't resist answering since I have been in your shoes. I have the same situation you describe. I will give you the over view of how I conquered the beast. If you want specifics e-mail me off line.

Connect the starband modem via a USB port to the Host PC
    You will also need two more network cards in the host.
    The first one connects to the WAN port on the WRT54G
    The second one connects to one of the regular ports ont he WRT54G

You will need to share the USB port within the Network Connections in XP
    The WAN Port NIC should be set to obtain the IP automatically
    The Other NIC should not be configured for IP at all (it is strictly for file sharing)
    (I know you would think one card could do both the file sharing and the WAN, sorry, it won't work without dropping packets, tried every conceivable combination for more than a month, that is why I went to the separate NIC for file sharing)

On the Client PC the TCPIP is also set for auto assignment.

You need to set several items within the router also, but, you can probably figure that out on your own.

I know this is only an overview, but, if you set up your network configured in this manner it will work perfectly. My client PC is right at 1,000 feet from my router, yet I have a direct line of sight with a home-built "cantenna." The client PC can surf and file share as fast as the Host PC.

Good luck and let me know if you need the details of configuring the cards, router etc.

Starband

One more thing... You can NOT upgrade the host PC to XP-SP2 because SP2 does something funky with firewalls and ICS. At least I have not been able to get it to work at this point. In fact, I finally had to back SP2 off of my host PC. The client PC has SP2 and there are no problems.