connection issue

Thread: connection issue

connection issue

DSL modem, Belkin wireless router/hub, 2 pc's.
    I believe I got a virus across my network, which I've cleaned. The first pc is running WinXP and is hardwired into the router. I was able connect to Internet after using the system restore. The second computer is running Win2000pro and is connected wireless to router. I am unable to connect to internet with the second pc. Sometimes the pc shows to be connected, sometimes not. Regardless, I am not able to connect. The Router shows that pc has connected, however I cannot "ping" the router. Is it possible that some of the Internet Explorer files were corrupted? I assume that is what happened on pc #1, but was corrected by the sysrestore. I am not very familiar with Win2000. It has no system restore, SFC, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think w2k does have sfc ! try "sfc /?" at prompt for options

Try....

doing an "ipconfig /all" from a command prompt on the Windows 2000 machine and copy and paste it to the forums. Sounds like something is wrong with TCP/IP, it could possibly be the network card drivers. I am trying to think if Windows 2000 can have the same winsock problem that windows xp can have after removing certain viruses or certain types of spyware.

Are you able to connect the Windows 2000 PC to the router with a network cable? If you can do you get anywhere with that? First I would try uninstalling and reinstalling the wireless card on the Windows 2000 PC, then try to wire it up to the router with a network cable if possible. Also is the SSID on the wireless card correct to match up with the router SSID?

Let us know.....

AH
    Another Fun Game of Marco Polo in the Shallow End of the Gene Pool......

Thank you

Thank you for the help on this issue. I've been looking for an excuse to format and put XP on that machine anyway. So, that's what I've done. Thanks again.