Other techs - Page 3

View Poll Results: How do you feel about other techs when they do things differntly

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • I piss on my territory, don't come in

6 22.22%
  • My way is the right way

1 3.70%
  • I am always willing to learn

19 70.37%
  • I don't let them speak

1 3.70%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Other techs

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    Other techs?

I am the one and only techs!
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

Quote Originally Posted by Cleetus
    But come on, I ain't talking about me any more, but what is started with AOL and NetZero. The idea that the ISP should provide this protection.

How many people do you know who have AV but don't have it set up correctly, or they have allowed holes in their firewall to allow for some fun or silly program, or they just don't update their AV or let the subscription run out or so forth and so on....

We live in a very lazy society that is driven by service. People more often then not are expecting services that aren't provided forcing others to devolop such services. This is a major market for people and responsible ISP's to dig into.

As techs we all know people will screw up the easiest of things. Heck, passwords for many of us admins are a nightmare, esp when we force them to change.

I am just saying that the more we can do for the normal user, where I have trained my mind after years of serious laziness to be excatly alike, am only repeating what they do. Now, I can fix stuff when it hits the fan, but they can't. Wouldn't it be better to find the ultimate system to insure that you get it before they come up to you crying without having to do all the after market addons
    OK, Cleetus, you are scaring me.... are you hinting that you work for AOL?

If you want to start a thread about the pros and cons of ISP total access control it would make more sense than burying it in a thread with a tenuously related topic title.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    I think it is great that ISP's are offering AV service, but the thing is, you could still get viruses transmitted through removable media, your internal network, etc. So while AV services being offered by ISP's is a nice feature, it should be used in addition to whatever AV software you run locally.

If your argument is that people expect it to be an included feature when purchasing a new pc like a new car, I agree 100% - I don't think any PC manufacturer/retailer should ever sell a PC without some decent AV already installed and built right into the cost.

rather they currently give 60day free trials of AV software.

I'm a resemblance to other techs

AVG is free for home use and will catch more than NAV. I don't think the ISP should provide firewall/antivirus. If they did...that would take away money from the techs. Antivirus is a separate topic...the real problem IMO is spyware.

Joe
    AMD Athon 64 X2 4400+, Corsair XMS Pro XL 3200, XFX 7800GTX OC, Raptor 74GB 10k RPM, Abit Fatality A8N SLI