Disney World Bound...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Disney World Bound...

Disney World Bound...

Hi all, Just checking in with everyone to see how many have hit Disney World before adn what I should expect, what not to miss and what to not bother with.

We are goign for 7 days paid for by the Wish Foundation, My son diagnosed with Hogdkins desease back in may 04 made teh wish adn that day is Sunday for us!!

Its gonna be fun eitehr way, especially getting away from this -33 C crap here in Ontario.
    I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

Sorry to hear about your son.

As for DisneyWorld:

It is generally 60-80F this time of year during the day and temperatures at night rarely drop below 40F.
    The park itself is your standard kids paradise. There are at least five seperate parks by my last count and one of the days you are in Orlando should be warm enough to visit the water park (Blizzard Beach), if you are so inclined.
    I suggest you visit an alligator farm if given the chance. They give the chance to hold a juvenile and that may be something your son would enjoy. There are several within an hour of Orlando.
    Beyond that, just make sure everyone has absolutely comfortable walking shoes and don't carry too much into the park with you as it just ends up being a hassle to carry or find a locker for. Plan for taking the bare essentials.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

The Hitchikers Guide to the Universe - Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by DANIMAL
    Hi all, Just checking in with everyone to see how many have hit Disney World before adn what I should expect, what not to miss and what to not bother with.

We are goign for 7 days paid for by the Wish Foundation, My son diagnosed with Hogdkins desease back in may 04 made teh wish adn that day is Sunday for us!!

Its gonna be fun eitehr way, especially getting away from this -33 C crap here in Ontario.
    You will need a time machine - 2 weeks wasn't enough for me, a week is going to be even worse!

There are several shows that are "miss and you will regret"
    Fantazmic! is one (7pm daily) and the Epcot Fireworks daily. If you hurry it is possible to get from Fantazmic to Epcot in time... but then you won't be right by the lake, you will be a few people back.

Take a spare video camera battery - most of the parks can charge your battery for you if you have a common type, or will plug in your own charger and keep it safe while it charges at no charge.

Same goes for film/sd cards for cameras.

If you have transport and fancy a change, then a day at seaworld is a great change of pace. Feeding the mantas and looking at baby dolphins are something my kids loved (13 and 6). If you see the Shamu show, you will get wet even at the top. Seaworld also have some behind the scenes tours which are fascinating, but it depends on the kids - these are factual tours.
    Last edited by NooNoo; January 22nd, 2005 at 03:42 AM.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Sorry to hear about your son DANIMAL, hope he has a great time at Disney World.

I hope you all have a fabulous time Danimal, and that brave lad of yours truly enjoys having his wish fulfilled.

Thanks for the Tips Guys, Ill be sure to hit Fantazmic and the Fireworks. and will pack light when going for a walk in teh parks, I know its not a long time there but we'll do everythign possible with 4 day land 3 day sea.

itll be fun im sure.
    I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

Awesome, enjoy the trip (and no worries of frostbite either!)

Quote Originally Posted by DANIMAL

Excellent!! What a blessing that the Wish Foundation must be for you and your son and family.
    Since I can't add much to what Noo has told you about the park itself and jae has told you about the weather, all I can say is "have a great time with your deserving son". This is such a feel good story!
    I will say this: at Disney World, where I spent my birthday this past year, you may want to check out Downtown Disney, too. Even though there are night clubs and such, there is much also geared towards younger people, too, such as the comedy show. If this is tomorrow that you are going then be aware that we are getting one of your Canadian cold fronts pushing through Florida which will bring the temps down towards freezing at night Sunday through Monday, but then it will warm back up again.
    Also, what resort are you staying at? I was at Wilderness Lodge. Take an afternoon and go out on the lake in one of the rental boats, too. Since it was my first visit to Disney World, I found their website quite informative. You may want to do that as well.
    Have a great time Dan, and let us know how it goes.

beach club resort, im outta here right now, See yas all later

What a place. The most efficient "wallet vacuum" I have ever seen, but they give you your money's worth too.

We only went one day, and the grandkids (who live in Cocoa Beach) were just a bit too young for the rides, so we went to Animal Kingdom, which was really nice too. I wanted Epcot, being a geek, but got voted down.

Epcot next time for me.
    If only you knew what's inside of me now,
    You wouldn't want to know me, somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekboy
    What a place. The most efficient "wallet vacuum" I have ever seen, but they give you your money's worth too.

We only went one day, and the grandkids (who live in Cocoa Beach) were just a bit too young for the rides, so we went to Animal Kingdom, which was really nice too. I wanted Epcot, being a geek, but got voted down.

Epcot next time for me.
    The kids would have loved Epcot - there are a few rides, but they have this neat technology centre headed up by a dragon called figment.

I couldn't get my kids outta there (not that I was trying that hard )
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Banned
    7 days, wow, sounds like a blast!!!!

What a tremendous program to do that too

Sorry I didn't get to chime in in time. In the off chance you check this out while you're out there, I'd say MGM and the Tower of Terror was one of the better rides there and the comedy club on Pleasure Island was worth the visit. We did the Hoop Dee Doo Review at Fort Wilderness which was a kind of musical comedy show. All you can eat chicken and ribs and strawberry shortcake.

This was me on the Mission Space ride at Epcot...:

What a ride! It's a centrifugal force spinning ride, but you don't see the ride. They cram you into a cockpit mockup, and let me tell you, it's confined! And all you see is a little window in front of you, and a bunch of fake buttons. The launch sequence is like no other! This is the ONLY ride I have ever been on that had barf bag dispensers within arms reach of every seat! It's that intense!

A theater 3d show you MUST NOT MISS, Mickey's PhilharMagic at the Magic kingdom. Truly the best 3d experience ever!

Rockin’ roller coaster’s alright, the best RC Disney has to offer, it’s at MGM, close to the Tower of Terror. That one is pretty neat.

Attendance seems way down out there this month, may be the best time to go!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    This was me on the Mission Space ride at Epcot...:

What a ride! It's a centrifugal force spinning ride, but you don't see the ride. They cram you into a cockpit mockup, and let me tell you, it's confined! And all you see is a little window in front of you, and a bunch of fake buttons. The launch sequence is like no other! This is the ONLY ride I have ever been on that had barf bag dispensers within arms reach of every seat! It's that intense!

A theater 3d show you MUST NOT MISS, Mickey's PhilharMagic at the Magic kingdom. Truly the best 3d experience ever!

Rockin’ roller coaster’s alright, the best RC Disney has to offer, it’s at MGM, close to the Tower of Terror. That one is pretty neat.

Attendance seems way down out there this month, may be the best time to go!!!
    I want to go back. I haven't been in 10 years.