Nero 6 & Sony DVD U18A

Thread: Nero 6 & Sony DVD U18A

Question Nero 6 & Sony DVD U18A

New to this Forume Site!

I have just built a new system with a Sony DVD RW DW-U18A drive in it. I have upgraded to Nero 6 and i have a querky problem. The drive and software work without error when a audio CD is loaded into the drive. I can preform a speed test (Within Nero) and play audio file with no problems but when i load a DVD into the drive i get problems. If i place a DVD movie into the drive it recognises that a DVD has been placed in the drive and it even changes the title within windows explorer but it cant play it. I start Nero Showtime 2 to view the movie and then it will not proceed any further. If i then try to do a speed test (within Nero) with the DVD loaded in the drive it returnes a error message ( I have written it down and if need be i will added it to the thread) stating that the sector is scrabled. Even within Media Player 10 it does not play the movie?? Has enyone else seen this problem where the drive will play audio CD but not DVD cd's. I must admit i have not tried any other DVD software as i would like to stay with the Nero Showtime software. I have also not tried to burn a DVD within nero since i though if the software wont even play a DVD then i wont try to burn one?
    Thanks for any replies AZZY

Welcome to the forums ZoneA,

I've never used Nero's Showtime app, but it could be a DVD-Region problem, pleas provide us the entire error message, and the region your DVD drive is set to along with the DVD Region of the DVD you want to play.

Latest Nero 6.6.0.6: http://www.nero.com/en/nero-up.php

Get all the packages.

Thanks for replying!

When I first loaded the NERO software I read the troubleshooting notes and discovered the regional setting was on 2 when the CD is a 4 region, but even after changing to region 4 I still have the same problem.
    I’ve just loaded an original DVD Disk of "Star Wars IV A new Hope" and the computer recognises the disk. The disk has some software (InterActual Player) on it and I can see the software and Directory Tree within Windows Explorer. I can even open files on the disk (TXT File) I didn't install the InterActual Player as I don't want it on the system. I can see various VOB files within a Video_TS directory, and if I double click on one these files the Nero Showtime APP starts but stops or return the following error message.
    "Cannot play this media file (0x80040265)"
    If I don’t get this message all that happens is Showtime starts and then just stops. The Computer has not locked up and the software is still running its just not playing the disk.
    When I preform the speed test within Nero tools the message I get is
    "Error
    READ OF SCRAMPLED SECTOR WITHOUT AUTHENTICATION (056F03)"
    All of these problems are not limited to one DVD. I have tried this with 3 original movie disks and the same problem happens.
    Any Ideas and thanks for your help
    Azzy