What networking equipment do I need for a LAN party?

Thread: What networking equipment do I need for a LAN party?

What networking equipment do I need for a LAN party?

Hello,
    I need some kind of router/switch/hub (I don't know the difference) that would have at least 12 slots and a connection for a cable modem. I have been trying to host a couple LAN parties and have been having some major problems. We usually have about 7-10 people, everybody has Windows XP, and we usually connect things like this:

cable modem and 3 people plug into the first Linksys 4-port router, then the first router is connected to another router through the 4th port, then more people connect into the 2nd router...and so on. Hope that made sense. Anyways we always have major problems with half of the people not being able to connect to the internet. Sometimes this setup works for everybody, and sometimes it doesn't.

I would like to buy just one piece of larger equipment with at least 12 ports so things will be much less complicated and work smoother. Can anybody offer any suggestions as to what I should buy and how I should hook everything up? Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by coolmandingo
    Hello,
    I need some kind of router/switch/hub (I don't know the difference) that would have at least 12 slots and a connection for a cable modem. I have been trying to host a couple LAN parties and have been having some major problems. We usually have about 7-10 people, everybody has Windows XP, and we usually connect things like this:

cable modem and 3 people plug into the first Linksys 4-port router, then the first router is connected to another router through the 4th port, then more people connect into the 2nd router...and so on. Hope that made sense. Anyways we always have major problems with half of the people not being able to connect to the internet. Sometimes this setup works for everybody, and sometimes it doesn't.

I would like to buy just one piece of larger equipment with at least 12 ports so things will be much less complicated and work smoother. Can anybody offer any suggestions as to what I should buy and how I should hook everything up? Thank you so much!
    you mite try one of THESE ...just plug the router into the switch and then everyone else plugs into the switch...simple.

Quote Originally Posted by geeksRus
    you mite try one of THESE ...just plug the router into the switch and then everyone else plugs into the switch...simple.
    Thanks man, those are some great prices! are there any specific features I should possibly look for? Like some of the switches have more buffer memory...and also is one brand recommended over the other? I have a Linksys router, so would it go better with a Linksys switch, or does it matter?

Also what is the difference between a switch, router, and hub? Thank you so much!

take a look at THIS site...has tons of home networking help and info. if you have a linksys router then it mite be better to also use a linksys switch, altho generally its ok to mix network equipment.

switch vs hub explained HERE

How Routers Work

Quote Originally Posted by geeksRus
    take a look at THIS site...has tons of home networking help and info. if you have a linksys router then it mite be better to also use a linksys switch, altho generally its ok to mix network equipment.

switch vs hub explained HERE

How Routers Work
    thank you so much!

i enjoy helping the humans...