Connecting Cable Modem to Lynksys Router

Thread: Connecting Cable Modem to Lynksys Router

Post Connecting Cable Modem to Lynksys Router

I am getting a new Cable modem which is USB, How do I get this to connect to my Lynksys 4 port Router? It only has a RJ45 input for WAN connection. Are there any converters out there that will change USB to RJ45 connector?
    -----------------------------------
    If all fails....Use a sledgehammer !!

[quote]Originally posted by TheCardMan:
    <strong>I am getting a new Cable modem which is USB, How do I get this to connect to my Lynksys 4 port Router? It only has a RJ45 input for WAN connection. Are there any converters out there that will change USB to RJ45 connector?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not that I know of! I would be interested in one of those too! You can get routers with usb links or put a box together just to run the modem and share the connection.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Does your cable modem only support USB? because it would be much cheaper just to pick up a 3 ft cat 5 cable then it would to find the kind of adapter you are looking for.

The Cable company is telling me that the only output is via USB. I have seen the Lynksys Cable Modem that has both USB & RJ45 outputs. The cable company claims that only thier modems work on thier service.

I believe they are using these "USB" only devices to try to stop people from using routers to share the internet connection. I know I can set up my machine as a gateway for others but I do not want to have the other machines dependent on my machine being turned on to connect to the internet.

Well I know they do make USB - RJ45 adapters, but not the kind you're looking for I think. They are more of a dongle that plugs into the PC USB and then when drivers are installed allow the dongle to function as a 10baseT NIC.

DO you all ready have the linksys router? Because one option would be to find an old PC with USB ports and build a linux router/gateway that you can stuff in a closet, and hook to cheap 4 port or 8 port switch/hub.

<a href="http://smoothwall.org" target="_blank">smoothwall</a> is free and a breeze to set up and has support for USB ADSL (so I'd assume USB cable modem would work as well) Smoothwall will pass out IPs via DHCP, run a firewall, port forward, set up VPN etc etc. It's a greay utility. I've never used linux before and had the smoothwall box up in under 30min. It's great. Just something to think about.

Thanks all, as it works out, the cable modem they sent me was a Motorola Surfboard which has both USB and RJ-45 on the back. Works like a charm with my router.

Thanks again....

That is the same modem I have...works good.
    (_|_) I AM EDITED BY WEBHEAD (_|_)

Dont ya just love it when an ISP's own tech support people dont know their equipment?
    "give a man a fish, and he will eat a meal, teach a man to fish...."

Oh yeah, this guy even told me to expect 1gig Uploads (or as he called it "1 Jigger Bytes"). I questioned him and he insisted it was what he gets with it. Told me I was gonna love it! I said Okay and laughed!! Oh well, at least it beats 56k......