Hi, I'm new to this and need help.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hi, I'm new to this and need help.

Hi, I'm new to this and need help.

My computer had something wrong with it and so my dad formatted it and restored it back to normal, however, the display will only let me use 16 colours, i've tried searching for better drivers but it says the best one is already in use, i've tried searching the windows disk and the computer installation disk but it always comes up with the same thing - the best driver possible is already in use. As a result i can't do much because i can't see anything on my computer as it's all chunky and pixelled. Any ideas? Thanks.
    Nik.

Welcome to the forum Willows,

What brand PC do you have? model # too
    What vga card do you have?

Use this to help identify components in your PC.

Everest Home Edition http://www.lavalys.hu/downloads/everesthome151.exe

Quote Originally Posted by TechZ
    Welcome to the forum Willows,

What brand PC do you have? model # too
    What vga card do you have?

Use this to help identify components in your PC.

Everest Home Edition http://www.lavalys.hu/downloads/everesthome151.exe

Thanks mate,
    I downloaded the link and when i go to open it opens for about 10 seconds then says everest has caused an error and will now close. Nevermind!
    My PC is made by Unika, i've never heard of them, it was the first one i saw and i was young and stupid when i bought it! It is a bit old aswell but can't afford to replace it!
    My vga card is called standard PCI graphics adapter. It worked before so it bloody well should now!!! Been doing my nut in for months!
    Thanks for your help mate.

Its called standard PCI graphics adapter because windows cannot recognise teh exact model and you need to install teh drivers for that.

You need to tell us the brand/model of that vga card, maybe you can look at it physically and tell us.

Its called standard PCI graphics adapter because windows cannot recognise teh exact model and you need to install teh drivers for that.

You need to tell us the brand/model of that vga card, maybe you can look at it physically and tell us.
    Ok mate, where do i find it and what does it look like? I'm not too brilliant with computers (You might've noticed!)

The VGA card is the one your monitor is connected too.

The VGA card is the one your monitor is connected too.
    You need to open the case and look at the "card" that the monitor cable attaches to....blow off the dust (carefully) and list the names and numbers on the chips or flat square and rectangle looking things on the sides of the board or card. Bit of caution...don't touch anything inside your PC with out at least holding onto the case to prevent static shock from destroying your computer.

Hey wait here....is the video adapter info spelled out on your screen the instant you power up your PC? Most of them flash for a quick second at the top of your screen left side often before the moniter warms up so a restart might display it

Besides the graphics cards info being shown as soon as you boot up, the only other option is to open the case and take a look at the card that is connected to you'r monitor.

Before you install any drivers, you have to know which Make/Model it is so you know which drivers you need. Hopefully, the card is clearly marked and easy to read. Good luck M8

As a picture paints a thousand words & all, this'll probably be handy - (how to install a video card ) - pictures there to show you what's what - & Since you are 'not too brilliant ith computers' - I'd better caution you about electrical safety & ESD which can harm you & your computer - (so unplug it & ground yourself & ensure you and the computer are at Zero Potential by continuously touching the un-painted metal chassis (computer frame) or the Power supply housing to stop static zapping anying - & if you aren't sure, then don't ! )
    Last edited by confus-ed; January 30th, 2005 at 06:11 AM.

When i boot up my computer it says SiS 6326, i can't write the rest down cos my arm's in plaster but if you need more info i'll look again, i don't really want to open it up because i'm not too sure what i'm doing and don't want to kill the computer or myself!!
    Cheers again.

You don't say what version of windows you are running, but sis drivers are here: http://download.sis.com/download_ste...s=8353&x=7&y=6 for 98/Me and here: http://download.sis.com/download_ste...&os=3&x=19&y=7 for W2K.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Cheers mate,
    I downloaded the driver and have it in my winzip file, what do i do with it now? I think i unzipped the file so what's the next move?
    I have the option to extract/encrypt/view/checkout or wizard at the top
    And when i right click it i can open with/extract/view/view with internal viewer/view with notepad exe./select all/invert selection/file properties.

I've tried searching for drivers but the same old thing - the one in use is the best one. When i tried to install the file as my driver it said it's not a colour file.

Cheers again, you're a legend!!

Oh yeah, i'm running windows millenium edition.

Unzip the file, then run Setup
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonsmith
    Unzip the file, then run Setup
    Where's that? Sorry for being thick!!