[RESOLVED] My Home Network isn't Working
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] My Home Network isn't Working

darinhansen

Post My Home Network isn't Working

I recently set up a network between two computers that I have and no matter what I try I can't get it to work. I am running a direct cable between the two network cards in each computer. Both computers can see themselves in the network but cannot see the other. I made sure they both used the same workgroup name, use the same protocals and everything the networking troubleshooter tells you to do. The cardshave no conflicts and the cable is catagory 5. Help!!!

Thank you for your time,
    Darin Hansen

2 nic's cannot communicate without a hub between or with a cross cable. I found a 4 port 10BT hub for about $15 at Bestbuy with a $10 rebate making it $5. 10BT is fast enough for a home network and all highspeed internet access is restricted to this speed anyway. Also, the easiest protocol to use is NetBEUI for file and print sharing. Linksys.com has an easy guide for network wiring and setup.
    Favorite Customer Quote: I need help, my thingy doesn't work!

a crossover cable is a MUST with 2 pcs. At BestBuy, where i used to work, the cat 5 box will say crossover or simply pc/pc cat 5, forget the fast Cat, dont need it in a home 10BT net. The cable that you have is called a straight- through cat 5. If u want to make ur own cable visit the networking center!
    System Specs

486DX2
    16MB RAM
    16 MB RAM
    1MB vid RAM
    Windows 3.1

msn tech, why cant you use a x over cable between 2 pc's... there isn't really a need to buy a hub unless you plan on 3 or more... i have used the x over and it works fine...
    I would prob. go with the hub my self. just for the extra expandibility
    HUNGRY?.....UNEMPLOYED?.....EAT YOUR F#%$ING
    JAP CAR!!!!!!!

Shep926

msn_tech
    2 nic's cannot communicate without a hub between them even with a cross cable?

Im thinking you should get a refund on your schooling, you were robbed.

Shep

I changed my 1st post to what I meant to say. Sorry for any confusion. Thanks for catching it.
    Favorite Customer Quote: I need help, my thingy doesn't work!

I have used crossover cables, and hubs many times. I have set up quiete a few home networks and even for two computers i'd suggest a cheap 5 port hub :0

Few times i have used crossover i had more trouble than anything.
    "Knowledge belongs in the hands of the people"

If you only have two computers and don't plan on having more than that on your home network go with the crossover cable. If the NICs are 10/100 they will communicate at 100mbps. This option will be faster and cheaper than buying a 5 port 10bt hub(The 10bt hub slows the system down to 10mbps). The only limitation would be you would need the hub to add a third computer. Keep in mind that your network is as fast as your slowest component.

Shep, there is no need for this type of remark. That is just plain rude!
    Originally posted by Shep926:

Shep

Here the link for the crossover cable http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/ne...le/cable5.htm, In addition make sure you are running NetBuei on the network and that it is the default protocol.
    Computer Shop Owner A+ COMPTIA
    Tampa Bay Communications Inc
    http://www.smokinparts.com/smokinpartslogo

Originally posted by The Big Q:
    Shep, there is no need for this type of remark. That is just plain rude!
    Originally posted by Shep926:

Shep
    Agreed, MSN_tech was lacking in communications skills, not computer knowledge. Let's face it, us techie types are not widely known for having strong language skills. (Quite frankly, some of us are barely a notch above sportscasters in that regard.)
    "Show me a perfectly smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's lying. Real boats rock." --Frank Herbert

mwarmuth

Home Depot sells the non-plenum CAT5 cable for $0.07/foot. If you know someone with a crimper, buy the cable and have 'em make the crossover cable for you. It's the easiest way to go for two computers w/o ADSL/Cable modems.

Has anyone ever tried the USB connection to set up a network between 2 PC'S ? I have seen it work, but you can't be too far away from each PC.
    "We have assumed control"

make sure you run the home networking wizzard
    after that
    if stillplaying up make sure you have
    tcp/ip client for microsoft networks, file and print sharing and your network cards.

if you have nothing shared sometimes they dont see each other

I have used usb at work and home - it is OK if you don't want to mess with installing a nic, but I prefer an Intel 10/100 hands down.

I would disagree with the comment by sennister. You need a 10/100 hub to get 100mbs - even with 10/100 nics, you will only get 10mbs throughput ( which should be more than adequate for a home network.)

Just my 2 cents
    "Who but me should write the book of cruel?"
    Misfits; All Hell Breaks Loose