using wireless adsl router exclusively as wireless point

Thread: using wireless adsl router exclusively as wireless point

using wireless adsl router exclusively as wireless point for ics

Hi everyone.

I have a Netgear DG834G wireless adsl router. However, I do not have an adsl connection, instead i use 56k dial up. I currently share the dial-up connection via windows xp's ICS and a wired ethernet network. I wish to use the DG834G as a wireless access point though, and still use ICS.

I have got the router up and running, all PCs (3) on my network access each other fine (only one is wireless at the moment). However, I cannot get ICS ro work.

Obviously in the past the PC with the dial-up connection would DHCP an address to the other PCs, this allowed the ICS to occur. Now though, it is the router that DHCPs the addresses.

Is it still possible to use ICS with this ADSL modem/router? (Yes I do know that you can purchase waps that are not adsl modems, lol)

Also, an unrelated question. The DG834G modem continually tries to connect to an adsl service - its status is always connecting. Does anybody know a way to stop it searching for a connection, without having an adsl service?
    Last edited by wr100; January 28th, 2005 at 06:02 AM.

Welcome to the forums.

The DG834G modem continually tries to connect to an adsl service - its status is always connecting. Does anybody know a way to stop it searching for a connection, without having an adsl service?
    This is change via the Routers Control Panel.

I share DSL using my Linksys WAG54G, but dont have ICS enabled, it just shares it automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by TechZ
    Welcome to the forums.

This is change via the Routers Control Panel.

I share DSL using my Linksys WAG54G, but dont have ICS enabled, it just shares it automatically.
    Thanks for your reply TechZ. The Linksys WAG54G acts as an aDSL gateway so it will do that. My problem was that I don't use adsl. Also, the routers settings do not seem to facilitate the turning off of the modem! I can't see it anyway, and the manual doesn't mention how to do it. It isn't a problem at all, I just would think that there would be a way do it-there quite possibly isn't though. I will probably phone netgear to see if it can be done.
    Last edited by wr100; January 29th, 2005 at 12:30 AM.

Unhappy Help!!!!

This is where I am at so far.

Computers have full network access (with static and dynamic IPs this works) but no access to the ICS'ed dial-up connection. The settings on the networked PCs show the PC with the internet connection as the default gateway and I have tried entering my ISP as the DNS address (this isn't necessary as ICS should take care of this). The correct DNS suffix of the network workgroup is also entered.
    The networked PCs show the ICS'ed internet connection but cannot communicate with it - no internet access, nor can they see that the connection is connected and downloading data (usually the icon in the bottom right would flash to indicate data transfer). The internet connection works fine on the computer that connects.

Help!!! I am have no idea how to fix this? It doesn't make sense, it should just work. Can anyone suggest anything.

Also I still haven't worked out how to disable the adsl modem - I have searched the internet but to no avail.

It doesn't make sense, it should just work. Can anyone suggest anything.
    Methinks that this can't work as the modems in the wrong place, The modem needs to be in the machine, not the router for ICS to work in this case, I think it would work if you had a seperate modem, as well ..

Effectively with this setup because the modems in the router you'd need two lots of network cards for this to work, one circuit for your internal lan, & another to get to the outside world.

Use the right stuff dude & this will be much simpler ! !

I had the same setup using a Linksys router so it might help.
    There are two options for these senarios:
    A) Use the router as a hub instead of a router
    This option will allow your ICS servers resources (such as printers and files) to be used by the rest of the network, however it will completely bypass the routers firewall for tje rest of the netwok. If this is not acceptable, please see the second option.

First, you're going to need to connect one computer to the router and restart it. Once it's restarted. open your Internet Explorer and go to the address http://192.168.1.1.

You will be prompted for a username and password. Leave the username blank and input admin as the password.

Once you arrive at the setup page, you'll need to change the LAN IP address of the router to an IP address which corresponds with your network. For example, Windows ICS uses the IP address 192.168.0.1 by default. So, for this example we're going to make the routers LAN IP address 192.168.0.254.
    Click Apply and restart your computer.
    Once the computer has restarted you'll need to open Internet Explorer again and input http://192.168.0.254 or whichever LAN IP you gave the router.
    You'll be prompted for a username and password. Leave the username blank and input admin as password.
    Once you arrive at the setup page of the router, click on the DHCP tab. Once the DHCP page appears, click on the option to disable DHCP, click Apply and Continue. Once the router has been configured as stated, connect your ICS Server to one of the numbered ports. In this example, we are using Port 1. Once you've done this, connect any remaining computers to the router and restart them.

B) Connecting the ICS server as a Modem

This option will actually filter the server from the rest of your network, making it similar to a regular cable or DSL modem. The advantage of this is it allows the router to still act as a firewall for the network. However, the down side is your computers will not be able to access the ICS servers' resources (such as Files and Printers). If this is not acceptable please see the first option.

The first step you'll need to do is connect your ICS computer to theWAN/Internet Port of the router with a cross-over cable. If you don't have a cross-over cable you can purchase one from your local computer store.
    Once you do this you're going to need to connect one computer to one of the numbered ports on the router and restart the computer. After restarting , open Internet Explorer and go to the address http://192.168.1.1.
    You will be prompted for a username and password. Leave the username blank and input admin as the password.
    Make sure that the router is set to specify an IP address or static IP address. Change it to reflect that. The settings will be the following:
    IP Address: 192.168.0.2
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.0.1

I had the same setup using a Linksys router so it might help.
    There are two options for these senarios:
    A) Use the router as a hub instead of a router
    This option will allow your ICS servers resources (such as printers and files) to be used by the rest of the network, however it will completely bypass the routers firewall for
    the rest of the netwok. If this is not acceptable, please see the second option.

First, you're going to need to connect one computer to the router and restart it. Once it's restarted. open your Internet Explorer and go to the address http://192.168.1.1.

Once you arrive at the setup page, you'll need to change the LAN IP address of the router to an IP address which corresponds with your network. For example, Windows ICS uses the IP address 192.168.0.1 by default. So, for this example we're going to make the routers LAN IP address 192.168.0.254.
    Click Apply and restart your computer.
    Once the computer has restarted you'll need to open Internet Explorer again and input http://192.168.0.254 or whichever LAN IP you gave the router.
    You'll be prompted for a username and password. Leave the username blank and input admin as password.
    Once you arrive at the setup page of the router, click on the DHCP tab. Once the DHCP page appears, click on the option to disable DHCP, click Apply and Continue. Once the router has been configured as stated, connect your ICS Server to one of the numbered ports. In this example, we are using Port 1. Once you've done this, connect any remaining computers to the router and restart them.

B) Connecting the ICS server as a Modem

This option will actually filter the server from the rest of your network, making it similar to a regular cable or DSL modem. The advantage of this is it allows the router to still act as a firewall for the network. However, the down side is your computers will not be able to access the ICS servers' resources (such as Files and Printers). If this is not acceptable please see the first option.

The first step you'll need to do is connect your ICS computer to theWAN/Internet Port of the router with a cross-over cable. If you don't have a cross-over cable you can purchase one from your local computer store.
    Once you do this you're going to need to connect one computer to one of the numbered ports on the router and restart the computer. After restarting , open Internet Explorer and go to the address http://192.168.1.1.
    Make sure that the router is set to specify an IP address or static IP address. Change it to reflect that. The settings will be the following:
    IP Address: 192.168.0.2
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.0.1
    DNS : 192.168.0.1
    Click apply then continue
    Once this has been done connect any remaining computers to the router and restart them.
    Hope this helps and remember this was for a linksys router so the login info may be different.

Quote Originally Posted by woolie48
    I had the same setup ...
    We know you told us twice !

I'm so sorry I'm not really sure how I did that, curse of the newbie I suppose. I hope to recover from the embarrasment soon.

Quote Originally Posted by woolie48
    I'm so sorry I'm not really sure how I did that, curse of the newbie I suppose. I hope to recover from the embarrasment soon.
    Just having a little joke .. you can delete your own posts yourself, (the board has a mechanism to stop you doing this accidentally, but if your connection is a bit slow it'll do it anyway) just edit your own post & you'll see there's a tick box at the top to delete it