using wireless adsl router exclusively as wireless point

Thread: using wireless adsl router exclusively as wireless point

Hybrid View

Welcome to the forums.

The DG834G modem continually tries to connect to an adsl service - its status is always connecting. Does anybody know a way to stop it searching for a connection, without having an adsl service?
    This is change via the Routers Control Panel.

I share DSL using my Linksys WAG54G, but dont have ICS enabled, it just shares it automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by TechZ
    Welcome to the forums.

This is change via the Routers Control Panel.

I share DSL using my Linksys WAG54G, but dont have ICS enabled, it just shares it automatically.
    Thanks for your reply TechZ. The Linksys WAG54G acts as an aDSL gateway so it will do that. My problem was that I don't use adsl. Also, the routers settings do not seem to facilitate the turning off of the modem! I can't see it anyway, and the manual doesn't mention how to do it. It isn't a problem at all, I just would think that there would be a way do it-there quite possibly isn't though. I will probably phone netgear to see if it can be done.
    Last edited by wr100; January 29th, 2005 at 12:30 AM.

Unhappy Help!!!!

This is where I am at so far.

Computers have full network access (with static and dynamic IPs this works) but no access to the ICS'ed dial-up connection. The settings on the networked PCs show the PC with the internet connection as the default gateway and I have tried entering my ISP as the DNS address (this isn't necessary as ICS should take care of this). The correct DNS suffix of the network workgroup is also entered.
    The networked PCs show the ICS'ed internet connection but cannot communicate with it - no internet access, nor can they see that the connection is connected and downloading data (usually the icon in the bottom right would flash to indicate data transfer). The internet connection works fine on the computer that connects.

Help!!! I am have no idea how to fix this? It doesn't make sense, it should just work. Can anyone suggest anything.

Also I still haven't worked out how to disable the adsl modem - I have searched the internet but to no avail.

It doesn't make sense, it should just work. Can anyone suggest anything.
    Methinks that this can't work as the modems in the wrong place, The modem needs to be in the machine, not the router for ICS to work in this case, I think it would work if you had a seperate modem, as well ..

Effectively with this setup because the modems in the router you'd need two lots of network cards for this to work, one circuit for your internal lan, & another to get to the outside world.

Use the right stuff dude & this will be much simpler ! !