Internal Mail Server

Thread: Internal Mail Server

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar

Internal Mail Server

We have 3 computer labs. and our instructors would like to be able to teach use of Outlook Express and/or Outlook, but due to usage policies, we are not allowed to use the corporate mail server to give email access.

What I want to do is setup a basic mail server, with about 30-40 email addresses, and have clients able to send and receive email, but I don't actually want to use real email addresses, just something internal. In fact, this mail server does not even actually need any connectivity to the internet.

Anybody have any reccomendations or can point me in the right direction to further research this? I have looked at several tutorials on internal mail servers, but everything I find is to gather mail from another mail server, and then redistribute internally.

Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute
    We have 3 computer labs. and our instructors would like to be able to teach use of Outlook Express and/or Outlook, but due to usage policies, we are not allowed to use the corporate mail server to give email access.

What I want to do is setup a basic mail server, with about 30-40 email addresses, and have clients able to send and receive email, but I don't actually want to use real email addresses, just something internal. In fact, this mail server does not even actually need any connectivity to the internet.

Anybody have any reccomendations or can point me in the right direction to further research this? I have looked at several tutorials on internal mail servers, but everything I find is to gather mail from another mail server, and then redistribute internally.
    www.contribs.org

e-smith SME server. takes about 10 minutes to setup. install it on as low as a pentium 200. works great. . . . . you'll love it.
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

I've been looking at ClarkConnect, never having seen SME Server. It looks awesome. I'm downloading now. I imagine with a little hacking/plugin action, SME server could do more gateway functions/firewalling also and be a great "all in one" box for smaller businesses and homes.

Quote Originally Posted by shanff
    I've been looking at ClarkConnect, never having seen SME Server. It looks awesome. I'm downloading now. I imagine with a little hacking/plugin action, SME server could do more gateway functions/firewalling also and be a great "all in one" box for smaller businesses and homes.
    it is a great all in one box. there are LOTS of rpm plugins for stuff like spam filtering, antivirus etc. and samba can emulate a NT domain. very cool distro

http://cr.yp.to

Small fast and roebust
    Easy to intstall and configure
    It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. -- Albert Einstein
    It said 'Insert disk #3', but only two will fit. -- The average customer.
    "There is no need for any individual to have a computer in their home." – Ken Olson, President of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977 …….

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by kato2274
    www.contribs.org

e-smith SME server. takes about 10 minutes to setup. install it on as low as a pentium 200. works great. . . . . you'll love it.
    Thanks kato, I'm gonna give that a shot - although, I've been having a h3ll of a time getting it to download - it keeps timing out, and when downloading, it's always under 20k/sec.....

kato....I was just flipping through the manual and didn't see anything where I can actually setup email address for internal mailing only without actually using the internet - am I overlooking it somewhere??

kato....I was just flipping through the manual and didn't see anything where I can actually setup email address for internal mailing only without actually using the internet - am I overlooking it somewhere??
    http://www.contribs.org/contribs/bob...chpt-07.3.html
    http://www.contribs.org/contribs/bob...chpt-07.4.html

Thanks kato - I'll take a look again, but it didn't seem like it will do what I want, unless I was not looking in the right place.

Thanks kato - I'll take a look again, but it didn't seem like it will do what I want, unless I was not looking in the right place.
    it'll do it. any user you create on the system automatically gets a mailbox. so just create users from the web administration pages and then configure outlook express or whatever to check for their mail.

Try Imail by Ipswitch very easy to setup and quite cheap The standard version gives you 5 domains and unlimited users. you can import NT user accounts directly to form the email addresses it can do webmail and can also be setup as a mail gateway I'm currently running Ver 8 with built in spam filter on a NT 4 server with Proxy 2 serving 45 full time users.
    Minimum admin needed after install create new Nt user email address created all from one entry.

Works excellent

it'll do it. any user you create on the system automatically gets a mailbox. so just create users from the web administration pages and then configure outlook express or whatever to check for their mail.
    Just realized I never replied back to this thread. Thanks for the info kato, I used this, was as easy to setup as you said and totally rocks!!

Thanks again!

Just realized I never replied back to this thread. Thanks for the info kato, I used this, was as easy to setup as you said and totally rocks!!

Thanks again!
    yeah I love it. I use it quite a bit. when we have sattalite design centers where 3-4 people will be working, I use SME and have samba emulate a NT domain so that people have a central logon and central file storage etc. plus it runs DHCP for me as well as networks the printers. it works great.

it's funny cuz this morning I was wondering if you got it working.

it's funny cuz this morning I was wondering if you got it working.
    Sure did, and it literally took minutes to setup like you said. Actually, I am thinking of using it in one of our remote offices to replace the router, as well as setup a small samba share for them to share some files on.

I love the hardware requirements, gives me a use for some of these old boxes sitting around that can't run the newer Linux distro's efficiently.

you da man!