Promise Raid - VIA Raid

Thread: Promise Raid - VIA Raid

Promise Raid - VIA Raid

I am currently using the Asus A8V-Deluxe motherboard with dual 120GB HD's. I am running Win XP SP2 on the Promise 378 Raid controller. When I originally set up my system I wasn't aware of the benefits of either type of raid ie. VIA or Promise. I also wasn't aware of the issues between promise raid and linux, specifically Suse 9.2, which so far I haven't got to work. So my question is, is it possible to convert from the promise controller to the VIA controller without having to reinstall the OS? I am using Raid 0. And if possible I would like to figure out a way to keep everything on my hard drives and trick windows into thinking nothing happened, is this possible? Thanks,

I think most likely you'll have no chance, as the structure of the disks layout is dependent on the controller & if we want to swap that, we have no choice but to rebuild the RAID ..

Pressumably though if you run RAID 0 (that's striping for those folks like me who get confus-ed) then you have some backup solution, like a tape streamer lurking about ? & you can use that to backup with & then restore that to your new array ?

& welcome to WD forums .. even though I have this sneaky feeling that mayn't be the answer you wanted !

Well I figured that was the answer I was going to get. Thankfully I don't have that much information on here that is irreplaceable. Now before I convert this to the VIA raid controller, has anybody had any negative experience using the VIA controller with linux, specifically Suse 9.2 which is what I will be installing. I haven't tried yet, but if anybody want's to throw up any flags for me that would be great. Otherwise 2 weeks from this past monday I'll be formatting and starting over....yet again
    Thanks, oh and before I forget I am not much of gamer so I don't know how to go about saving game states. For example I am having a pretty good go at Far Cry right now and if I can save where I am in the game when I reinstall the OS that would be great. Any tricks to this?

Can't tell you much about linux -try a seperate question in that section, we do have the odd linux dude floating about who can maybe answer your question, & for your game saves location try a question @ the Far cry forum here as I can't find it myself on google or by searching those forums - but I'm pretty sure someone there will know !