Is the Web a "dark hole" for "lonely" people?

View Poll Results: Is the Web a "dark hole" for "lonely" people?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 33.33%
  • No

1 4.76%
  • It may be, if taken to an extreme

12 57.14%
  • Highly unlikely, but possible

2 9.52%
  • Other (explain)

1 4.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Web a "dark hole" for "lonely" people?

Question Is the Web a "dark hole" for "lonely" people?

I find what the Judge (who sentenced the teen who created the Blaster Worm variant) declared in such a sweeping and negative stereotype to be highly subjective and out of touch with the new world of online internet communications. But, I was wondering if I was the only one who thought this. My gosh; for as much time as many of us spend online with friends we have found here (or "enemies" ), what does that say about us? And, I don't mean to condone what the currently 19 year old did, which was wrong, but I question what this "Judge" seemed to say about some internet users.
    Anyway, here is the article:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6881275/
    He could have gotten 10 years behind bars, but the judge took pity on him, saying his neglectful parents were to blame for the psychological troubles that led to his actions.

The Internet “has created a dark hole, a dungeon if you will, for people who have mental illnesses or people who are lonely,” U.S. District Judge Marsha Pechman said. “I didn’t see any parent standing there saying, ‘It’s not a healthy thing to lock yourself in a room and create your own reality.”’

Defense attorneys said that Parson feared leaving the house and that his parents provided little support...
    So, what do you think?

BTW:
    In a previous interview, the then 18 year old had this to say:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3078580/
    TODAY’: In cases like this, there are a lot of quick, simple characterizations of the accused given to the media — for example, he was a loner, he didn’t have friends, he was reckless, etc. How would you describe yourself?

PARSON: “I’m the complete opposite of the way I’ve been portrayed in the press. I’m not a loner. I have a very supportive close group of friends. I’m not reckless, I don’t do drugs, smoke or drink. This is the first time I have ever had a run in with the law. It’s hurtful to see the accounts of me. I’m not depressed, embarrassed about my weight, or a misfit. ”
    Last edited by TripleRLtd; February 2nd, 2005 at 02:18 PM.

I think if you do find yourself in the wrong community, that's exactly what you end up in - a dark hole. The same can be said for winding up in a gang.

Everything has a dark side and the mentally ill have always been morbidly attracted to that which the "well adjusted" would never entertain.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I think you are taking it purely out of context. It's obvious that the judge was only saying that this applies to those that already have a challenged mental status, not that the Internet causes perfectly sane people to lose sense of realty.

Now will somebody turn down the Jacuzzi? It’s melting my wax nipple clamps!

And I agree.
    But, I think that I am finding this to be an insult by an "older" generation, who have no idea about what the internet has become for so many people.
    Online "communites" are such a new phenomenon and so misunderstood by those who just don't get it, or computers for the most part. I see and hear it everyday from, especially, older people who are just getting "into" computers and the internet.

Go on then .... I'll be the bad guy on this thread too .. sooooo ... I agree wholeheartedly with the judge !

I can think of one or two around here who fit his description ! One of them has wax nipple clamps !

Let battle commence !

Banned
    It allows redneck wannabe's to become ego-centic sociopaths totally dominating a group of people that they have never met in person.....

So in short, I agree with confus-ed

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    ... one or two around here who fit his description ! One of them has wax nipple clamps !

Let battle commence !
    Perhaps you two should take that to a one of the old WD standby's:
    You know:
    FIGHT NIGHT AT WD!!!

Anyone care to oblige them? Cleete?

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    You know:
    FIGHT NIGHT AT WD!!!

I will chew him up and $h!+ him out. He's lost to me once already this week...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    You know:
    FIGHT NIGHT AT WD!!!

What would that prove?
    Aren't you the one that always buts in and stops any good conversation anyway?
    Can't we all just get along?

"Can't we all just get along..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    I will chew him up and $h!+ him out. He's lost to me once already this week...
    In your opinion - we'll see shall we who actually 'won' that one .. (what did you win ? You won Noo asking me exactly what I was on about inbetween you trying to wind me up is what you won - so ta ! )

Anyway I'm taking no criticism from a man who thinks he looks like a big tough marine when very probably he looks like this

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    Dude....

That's harsh...

Wait...

That's Julie ON!

Banned
    I think Trip should be banned for calling us all names and trying to start a fight.