Is the Web a "dark hole" for "lonely" people? - Page 3

View Poll Results: Is the Web a "dark hole" for "lonely" people?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 33.33%
  • No

1 4.76%
  • It may be, if taken to an extreme

12 57.14%
  • Highly unlikely, but possible

2 9.52%
  • Other (explain)

1 4.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Is the Web a "dark hole" for "lonely" people?

Quote Originally Posted by Cleetus
    It was all me?

whatever, anyway,I think it is true, esp watching the way you are acting now.
    Alright, let's just say that ya_got me. Alright?
    Now, in all seriousness, what do you think, really, about the stereotypes employed against supposed "rednecks"? And, I don't mean the jokes, but the below the belt barbs? Or, how about the negative stereotypes used against any minority, race, or gender? I have heard your arguments for a long time now, and I would have to say that you don't like them either. Unlees I am wrong.
    So, what I am saying is that what this Judge claimed is also a stereotype, about people llke you and I. How about the young people here who are still in school? The ones who spend a vast amount of time in this or other online communities, be it chat or bb's. Or, even married adults? Or, single adults? Are they lonely? Mentally "challenged"?
    What gives that Judge the right to paint such a horrid picture of so many people in a world she probably has no understanding of?
    Can you answer me that?

Well she *is* a judge afterall. It is her job to pass judgement. Sheesh,.. do I always have to come up with the answers for everything?
    Hello World

Quote Originally Posted by WebHead
    Well she *is* a judge afterall. It is her job to pass judgement. Sheesh,.. do I always have to come up with the answers for everything?
    Because you are sooooo good at getting them wrong ! - She *isn't* a mental health practitioner is she ?

.. Hang on, I'm meant to be agreeing with her, therefore the jury will ignore my previous remarks !

She must have been browsing & read this at the BBC - Britain 'a lonely place to live'

..Feelings of social exclusion were most common among people with mental health problems and often contributed to their illness...
    You can find tons of this stuff on the web all over the place linking isolation & mental health issues, & I'm bemused why Trip finds this so difficult to accept, sure its a sterotype, but an applicable one !

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed

You can find tons of this stuff on the web all over the place linking isolation & mental health issues, & I'm bemused why Trip finds this so difficult to accept, sure its a sterotype, but an applicable one !
    That is NOT what I find difficult to accept -ed. Damn, read what I have written and what I have asked:
    So, what I am saying is that what this Judge claimed is also a stereotype, about people llke you and I. How about the young people here who are still in school? The ones who spend a vast amount of time in this or other online communities, be it chat or bb's. Or, even married adults? Or, single adults? Are they lonely? Mentally "challenged"?
    What gives that Judge the right to paint such a horrid picture of so many people in a world she probably has no understanding of?
    Can you answer me that?
    My question is about linking this "loneliness and mental health issue" with internet use in such a blanket accusation !! Of course there are some out there like that . But, there are many, many others who are not either lonely or mentally ill. Unless of course you agree with her. You know, those like us who enjoy the comraderie of a place where fellow techs can meet and let off steam, thoughts, jokes, or whatever. Hey, even help users out there who are having problems. Remember that one?

Listen. There are even those amongst us who in order to put someone down here like to accuse someone of not having a life. You know what I'm talking about, too. That is such a low blow in a place like this. Especially when it comes from someone who seemingly spends hours and hours a day here and has been doing it for years. Now we have Judges making rulings from the bench which reflect negatively upon all of us. And , quite wrongly in my opinion.
    Last edited by TripleRLtd; February 2nd, 2005 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    So.............monks,nuns and hermits all have mental issues then?

BTW does this judge actually use the internet on a regular basis or are they making assumptions based on media scare mongering?

Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    I'm guessing *yes* to all three.
    Hello World

Quote Originally Posted by Archer

BTW does this judge actually use the internet on a regular basis or are they making assumptions based on media scare mongering?
    Exactly!!
    And, I, too, would like to know more about this "Judge". That is my point here: What gives that Judge the right to paint such a horrid picture of so many people in a world she probably has no understanding of?

And, wrbby, I suppose that you agree with her then? If that is the case, what explains you?

Another Ninth Circuit district court vacancy has been filled with the confirmation of King County, Washington, Superior Court Judge Marsha Pechman to the bench on September 8, 1999. She will fill the position to be vacated by Judge William Dwyer, who is retiring as United States district judge for the Western District of Washington.

Senators Patty Murray (D-Wash.) and Slade Gorton (R-Wash.) in January picked Pechman with the help of a 12-member panel and sent her name to the White House for an FBI check. President Clinton nominated Judge Pechman on March 24.

Judge Pechman, 48, of Seattle, has served on the King County bench since 1988. Prior to that, she worked as a deputy prosecutor with the King County Prosecutor’s office, as an associate and partner with Levinson, Friedman, Vhugen, Duggan, Bland and Horwitz, and as a law professor at the University of Puget Sound and the University of Washington.

Judge Pechman earned her undergraduate degree from Cornell University in 1973 and her law degree from Boston University in 1976.
    US Courts.gov

Judge Marsha J. Pechman, of Seattle, Washington, has been a judge on the King County Superior Court since 1988. Prior to this appointment, she was an associate and partner with the firm of Levinson, Friedman, Vhugen, Duggan, Bland & Horowitz from 1981 to 1988. Judge Pechman previously held several academic appointments, including Clinical Professor and Director of the Law Practice Clinic with the University of Puget Sound School of Law from 1986 to 1987, Instructor and Staff Attorney with the University of Washington School of Law from 1979 to 1981, and Adjunct Professor at the University of Washington School of Law from 1983 to 1987. From 1976 to 1979, she served with the King County Prosecutor's Office as a Deputy Prosecutor. Judge Pechman received her B.A. in 1973 from Cornell University and her J.D. in 1976 from Boston University.
    Clintonpresidentialcentre.org

Workers Get Class-Action OK in Boeing Suit
    (AP via Baltimore Sun - January 24, 2005 2:03 PM)
    SEATTLE -- Current and former African American employees of Boeing Co. have been granted class-action status in their lawsuit accusing the defense giant of discrimination and harassing black workers. The ruling, handed down by U.S. District Judge Marsha ...
    Buisness.com
    Seattle, WA - Judge Marsha Pechman issued an historic decision on the issue of Somali deportation, ruling to both 1) Continue the preliminary injunction that prevents the government from deporting people to Somalia
    Judge Pechman was also perplexed by the government's argument that the Attorney General must have the tool of deportation in its war against terrorism.
    http://www.hatefreezone.org/somali_d...name=article02
    Jeffrey Lee Parson, 19, of Hopkins, Minn., will serve his time at a low-security prison and must also perform 10 months of community service.

He could have gotten 10 years behind bars, but the judge took pity on him, saying his neglectful parents were to blame for the psychological troubles that led to his actions.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in670176.shtml

Mind he does look like a typical dork though......
    Last edited by Archer; February 2nd, 2005 at 09:44 PM.

Ah, a Clinton appointee. That should open a new can of worms.

Yeah Archer, the kid is an arsehole to the nth degree. But, he is not my point, but what she said about the internet and its users.
    Here is more of what she said:
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...terworm28.html

Instead, she said she was swayed to the more lenient sentence because of Parson's history of mental health problems and because his home life "sounds grimmer than many prison camps I've visited."

She also sentenced Parson to three years of supervised release and 100 hours of community service after he is released. In an effort to get the 19-year old on a college track, she said any hours spent attending preparatory classes for the SAT or ACT college tests, and taking those tests, could be deducted from the 100-hour requirement. "You shook the foundation of the system," Pechman told Parson in court before doling out the sentence. "Because as we launched ourselves into this new world of technology, we assumed it had the same foundation of bricks and mortar that we find in the real world."

Pechman told PARSON his community service had to be through face-to-face contact with others and restricted his use of computers to only educational and business purposes. She told him "No video games, no chat rooms. I don't want you to have anonymous friends, I want you to have real world friends." She also stressed that part of PARSON'S supervised release will involve a mental health program.
    Last edited by TripleRLtd; February 2nd, 2005 at 11:05 PM.

I also found this from a Brit site:
    http://wheresthebeef.co.uk/
    ...And the finisher!:The Internet "has created a dark hole, a dungeon if you will, for people who have mental illnesses or people who are lonely," Pechman said. "I didn't see any parent standing there saying, 'It's not a healthy thing to lock yourself in a room and create your own reality.'"
    Woah Judge, way-to-sum up your knowledge of the internet. "A dark hole, a dungeon if you will" HOW DID THE JURY NOT LAUGHT HER OUT OF THE ****ING COURT? Amerikkka I blame you for this. Mental Illnesses or lonely? Would you like a translation? Here you go!:
    THE INTERNET IS NEW, I AM OLD AND NOT WILLING TO ADAPT OR LEARN. I AM SCARED OF THE INTERNET, I FIND IT THREATENING ME BECAUSE IT IS DIFFERENT AND CONFUSING. I DON'T REALLY KNOW WHAT IT IS, MY CO-WORKERS HAVE EXPLAINED IT TO ME USING CONFUSING ANALOGIES WHICH I WILL DEFINITLY USE IN MY CASE. TELEVISION HAS TAUGHT ME THAT LONELY PEOPLE ARE MENTAL PATIENTS USE THIS (which TV series did she get that from?) INTERNET THINGY.

Seriously guys! Educate your judges as to what the Internet is. You never know, It might make for some fair and sensical results.

Last edited by TripleRLtd; February 2nd, 2005 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Exactly!!
    And, I, too, would like to know more about this "Judge". That is my point here: What gives that Judge the right to paint such a horrid picture of so many people in a world she probably has no understanding of?

And, wrbby, I suppose that you agree with her then? If that is the case, what explains you?
    I know I've been kinda kidding with all this, but actually, I don't agree with her. She should've sentenced the kid to rehab rather than slapping him on the wrist and passing a generalization like that. Her job is to judge a case based on the facts and by interpreting the law and sentencing accordingly. Her opinion is irrelevant. However,.. this ain't nuthin. You think this is bad? Just wait until George Bushes new supreme court gets going.
    Hello World

Well, I'm glad you cleared that up, and for now I'll ignore the comment on teh Supreme Court, but did you notice that five people who are members here voted yes?
    I wonder if they were kidding?

I'm just trying to figure out why a java console opens up when I go to this site now. What's up with that?
    Hello World

I thought you used Firefox?
    I will say this: this site has been slowing down today like a few other sites we know, if you know what I mean. I got so frustrated that I turned off my f/w, closed other windows, etc...trying to see if it was my pc or connection. But no: all other sites load great. So, I don't know. DG is missed though. What was it that Cobra said?

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    I thought you used Firefox?
    I will say this: this site has been slowing down today like a few other sites we know, if you know what I mean. I got so frustrated that I turned off my f/w, closed other windows, etc...trying to see if it was my pc or connection. But no: all other sites load great. So, I don't know. DG is missed though. What was it that Cobra said?
    I do use Firefox. Am I missing something? Will FF magically make the Java Console not turn on?
    Hello World