unable to install driver for my internal modem

Thread: unable to install driver for my internal modem

Angry unable to install driver for my internal modem

Hi all, Can anyone help please? My modem is an Askey Plug and Play that was installed on my PC when I bought it. For soem unknown reason it has stopped working and Windows tells me the driver is not installed. I have established that the driver in use previously was in a file called series.vxd, but when I try to get Windows to install from that file it tells me there is no driver there. What can I do to get my modem up and running again?

Thanks, Margaret

Welcome to WinDrivers, Margaret.

Windows will need a bit more information than just the driver to do a proper install. If the brand & model of system can be easily established, the manufacturer's website will likely have drivers available, unless it's Tiny, whose support lives up to their name...

Drivers for numerous Askey models are available on their site:

http://www.askey.com.tw/eportal/glob...enuCatOid=-288

but you'll need to establish the model of modem.

Alternatively you may wish to try a general Askey Plug & Play modem driver offered somewhere like DriverGuide:

http://members.driverguide.com/drive...driverid=27444

You will be asked to register there, but at the moment they are still accepting the catch-all user/password of "drivers" and "all".

drivers for my modem

Hi, Thanks a lot for your comments about my problem. It was a system from Tiny and as you say their support is not good!
    I had already contacteded Askey and they say that because the system was from Tiny they don't/can't supply drivers. They did however give me the model number and that doesn't show on the other site you mention. I had in any event already got the general driver that they offer and that doesn't seem acceptable to Windows either.

I just can't understand what has happened as the modem just stopped working for no apparent reason and now I can't get it going again. Its so frustrating especially since I think the driver file is still on the C drive but Windows won't for whatever reason recognise it.

Is there anything else I should be doing to get the driver installed?

Margaret

Hmm, there are probably UK members who have experience with Tiny who could give specific advice. A couple of universal possibilities come to mind though.

Does the Device Manager actually give a fault indication for the modem? eg yellow ! ( a bang), or is the modem simply not responding? If the latter, the modem may have an electronic fault, eg line loop circuit, & need replacing.

If the Device Manager is unhappy with the existing driver, did you un-install the old drivers before trying the new ones? A faulty driver install already on the system can keep messing up the fresh one. If the old drivers were not un-installed, first check for an entry in Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs. If there's no reference here, the original drivers were not installed from a setup program; re-start in Safe Mode (tap F8 while the system starts, or in 98/ME hold the Ctrl key down), remove any old modem devices in the Device Manager (there may be more than one instance, which can cause problems), then restart and try the install again.

Were there any error messages when you tried the generic Askey installation?

Edit: Margaret has emailed me to say this issue was resolved with the purchase of a new modem.
    Last edited by Platypus; February 10th, 2005 at 09:35 AM.