New Raid problem can't set up

Thread: New Raid problem can't set up

New Raid problem can't set up

I just purchased a raid controler with a sil 0680 chipset. I have 2 160gb hard drives already partitioned into 3 partitions of the same size, the master already has win xp pro on it. One is a 7200rpm and the other is a 5400 rpm both are ata 133. I also have a cd burner and dvd burner on the 2nd ata controler. Fic AU13 motherboard. 512mb ram, AMD 2700 cpu.

The instructions say to install the card and connect the 2 drives to the card. Which I did. Then boot windows and windows will find the card and then navigate to the cd rom with the drivers to complete the install.

The problem is when I install the card and boot, the computer gets to the screen where the hash marks run across the bottem of the sceen then reboots. If I try safe mode it gets to mup and reboots. I tried every pci slot. When I boot I do get a screen that says hit F3 to set up the raid controler. I tried that also and I can set up a mirrored raid set 1. This doesnt help either, so I deleted it. When I boot I also get a 2nd screen that shows the drives in the raid configuration.

Next I tried to do a windows repair, I put in the win xp boot cd and booted to xp and let it go untill the install windows screen. When I hit enter to install windows it says I have no drive to install to. I remove the raid card and plug back into the ata controler and everything is ok.

Im totally lost, any help would be appreciated.

thany you

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Put the drive with windows on the ide controller. Install the card with no drives. Boot into windows. Install the drivers for the raid card. Reboot. Shut down. Remove drive from raid controller and install on raid with second drive. Reboot computer. Configure raid 1. Reboot. Should load Windows fine.
    Sergeant WOTPP

Quote Originally Posted by MobilePCPhysician
    Put the drive with windows on the ide controller. Install the card with no drives. Boot into windows. Install the drivers for the raid card. Reboot. Shut down. Remove drive from raid controller and install on raid with second drive. Reboot computer. Configure raid 1. Reboot. Should load Windows fine.
    When I put in the card with no drives attached and the drives connected to the MB port and boot, The bios recognizes the hard drive and I get the screen hit F3 for raid then a blank screen, nothing else. It wont boot. If I hit F3, it does the same thing.

In the bios, set the boot order. IDE 0 should be listed. It sounds like you do not have the motherboard set to look for that drive to boot.
    Sergeant WOTPP

In the bios, set the boot order. IDE 0 should be listed. It sounds like you do not have the motherboard set to look for that drive to boot.
    I not changed the bios settings. I've had the MB combination for more than a year. Cd rom, Floppy, HD0, as always. If that was the problem then it wouldnt boot from the HD when I remove the raid card.

Ok. Put the raid card in. Connect the two drives to the raid card. The one with the xp should be the primary. Make the boot order list the cd rom first. Build your raid one array. Copy the drive to the second drive. Continue to boot from the cd. When the first screen asks whether to repair or install, tell it to install windows. When the second screen comes on, tell it to repair the windows installation, then press f6 when it directs you to. Then insert the floppy for the raid card. Choose the correct driver and continue the xp repair. When it completes, you should have success.

You may have to copy the drivers for the raid from a cd onto a floppy. Read the instructions.
    Sergeant WOTPP

Ok. Put the raid card in. Connect the two drives to the raid card. The one with the xp should be the primary. Make the boot order list the cd rom first. Build your raid one array. Copy the drive to the second drive. Continue to boot from the cd. When the first screen asks whether to repair or install, tell it to install windows. When the second screen comes on, tell it to repair the windows installation, then press f6 when it directs you to. Then insert the floppy for the raid card. Choose the correct driver and continue the xp repair. When it completes, you should have success.

You may have to copy the drivers for the raid from a cd onto a floppy. Read the instructions.
    I appreciate your help but I tried most of what you suggested, see the first post I made.
    Ok I think I see something I didnt notice befor. When I set up the raid on boot I always selected automatic, this time I selected manual and it asked me the first and 2nd drive and if I wanted to copy the drive, and when I selected copy it started to make a copy. This is different. I will try this as soon as I get everything off the 2nd drive I need.

Ill let you know tomorrow, thanks
    Last edited by larrylwill; February 9th, 2005 at 02:17 AM.

Well I did as you suggested, I put the card in and connected the 2 drives, I hit the F3 key and set up the array and selected copy, It went on for about an hour saying it was copying, although the hd light didnt come on. After an hour it went back to the boot of the cd when it asked for the scsi driver I hit F6 and installed the drivers from a floppy then on the 2nd screen I hit install windows and again it said, there are no hard drives to set up windows on. I put the cable back on the IDE port and removed the card and rebooted and checked the slave drive, It made a partition the same size as the C partition and left the rest of the drive alone. There was NOTHING on the new partition. So back to square 1. It didnt work. I emailed tech support where I gotthe card and they are sending me a new one. I dont know what else to do.
    Last edited by larrylwill; February 9th, 2005 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by larrylwill
    Well I did as you suggested, I put the card in and connected the 2 drives, I hit the F3 key and set up the array and selected copy, It went on for about an hour saying it was copying, although the hd light didnt come on. After an hour it went back to the boot of the cd when it asked for the scsi driver I hit F6 and installed the drivers from a floppy then on the 2nd screen I hit install windows and again it said, there are no hard drives to set up windows on. I put the cable back on the IDE port and removed the card and rebooted and checked the slave drive, It made a partition the same size as the C partition and left the rest of the drive alone. There was NOTHING on the new partition. So back to square 1. It didnt work. I emailed tech support where I gotthe card and they are sending me a new one. I dont know what else to do.

I have the same problem with the same card. I'm trying to add a tape drive to the card. I get the same boot problems and I've been told to include it, the card (tertiary into the boot process) because the boot up does not see it. It is the last process to run and it is not picked up in the system initialization. However, I still don't understand how to do that in CMOS.
    I've been given instructions to reload and reinstall my hardware and software on Tech to Tech forum?