MY computer takes forever to start up and is runing incredably slow

Thread: MY computer takes forever to start up and is runing incredably slow

MY computer takes forever to start up and is runing incredably slow

I have a amd 2100 756 mb of ram 120 gb hardrive radion 9700 pro and a creative adigy 2 platinum... MY computer was runing slow and it was time for a fresh start so i reforamted my drive and reinstaled windows XP pro... when i start up my computer takes about 10-20 min this si the first start up after instaling windows... i thought this was strange so i again reforamted and tryed to install windows but same thing my computer takes forever to start up... then once i have all my drivers instaled and updated toolbar icons take forever to load. aplications are slow to start up. i cant watch any media files because the video laggs behing... but i can go threw folders with no truble... they load jast as fast as they always have... i dont know what to do... I cant figure out why after a fresh start and only windows instaled my computer is so incredable slugish... if you can give me a few tips would realy help thanks...

You might try going into msconfig and turn off everything at start-up. You may also want to check and make sure your video drivers are correct.

It could be a memory issue. What does your performance look like when the PC is running?
    Last edited by Richard1; February 9th, 2005 at 02:22 PM.

You don't just need a system install disk to set up windows correctly, you also need additional & updated drivers for potentially every bit of hardware as windows can't possibly contain items for all hardware & not up to date for sure if its on a cd

Here I'd have thought you probably want some kind of motherboard drivers (which will have a significant impact on performance) & probably more up to date drivers for video & sound that an xp install disk will have - please give us details of your motherboard if you know it, else the brand & model number please.

Are there any yellow '!' or red 'x' marks showing in device manager (right click my computer, properties, hardware tab) or any items showing in the '?' or 'other devices' categories ?