Bad advice !?!?! ..
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bad advice !?!?! ..

Unhappy Bad advice !?!?! ..

Well apparently no-one else around here feels sufficiently brave to broach this subject ... so I will

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    ..Bad advice comes in different flavors. A lone user will be taken with a grain of salt. But a Moderator will be taken seriously, and as a first post in the thread, his advice may have been utilized unnecessarily..
    Whilst commenting about this Thread ?

So without making a meal of past 'mistooks' (as I have a feeling 'the boss' is just about to on that thread).. methinks if you find anyone giving out what might be considered less than perfect advice (& that includes moderators named Richard ) - then I suggest you say or alternatively you could all be chickens & say diddly squat as it involves a mod

& while I'm here making waves .. can we get Freddy's 'situation' sorted ? (& then I mighten be making up dumb threads like this !)..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    Well apparently no-one else around here feels sufficiently brave to broach this subject ... so I will

Whilst commenting about this Thread ?

So without making a meal of past 'mistooks' (as I have a feeling 'the boss' is just about to on that thread).. methinks if you find anyone giving out what might be considered less than perfect advice (& that includes moderators named Richard ) - then I suggest you say or alternatively you could all be chickens & say diddly squat as it involves a mod

& while I'm here making waves .. can we get Freddy's 'situation' sorted ? (& then I mighten be making up dumb threads like this !)..
    http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=68374

http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=68915

http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=69047

now stop laughing

I thought Freddy went to hell,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    I thought Freddy went to hell,,,
    I have a feeling that's the way this thread will go ..

.. come on guys .. be constructive & don't just grind your axes !

I have a feeling that's the way this thread will go ..

.. come on guys .. be constructive & don't just grind your axes !
    That was just me poking fun at Freddy, and his inability to maintain unbannedness. He and I actually get along great in an alternate life. We've had beer and corn chips together in a boobie bar, and it was quite pleasant. I'd do it again...

As far as your point about bad advice...I have no argument with your points...

I'm still trying to figure out what _Ed was trying to say in the first post!!!

Give them a thumbs up for "less than perfect" advice???
    The Moral Majority is neither.

Master Sargent - WOTPP

Quote Originally Posted by jitBob
    I'm still trying to figure out what _Ed was trying to say in the first post!!!

Give them a thumbs up for "less than perfect" advice???

I'll be honest, I had no clue what he meant either, notice how I backed away from any discussion with him of the sort. I'd suggest you do the same, before he starts talking to you...stupidity is contagious…

Confus-Ed Translation service:

Bad advice should be pointed out in the thread, unless you feel that one should not point out the technical short comings of those who have a higher rank than yourself.

My 2 penniworth... by all means point out bad advice, but make it constructive, not just flamebait.

For instance explain the difference between a gigabyte and a gibibyte. Teach, don't preach.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Bad advice and/or questionable advice has always been pointed out, has it not? And it was in this case, no matter the status of the member giving the bad advice. So why is it suddenly a big arse deal? Because some have a bone to pick with one particular administrator? Or, should I say ONE individual has issues?
    And, Noo is right:
    ... by all means point out bad advice, but make it constructive, not just flamebait.
    Teach, don't preach.
    After all, we are teachers in a way. And, some are better at it than others.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    After all, we are teachers in a way. And, some are better at it than others.
    Why, thank you for the complement.

So I see Alan managed to get himself re-banned or is that banned some more or banned again over this ? ... (for anyopne really confus-ed by this, Alan is Freddy, who was also Freddy The Fisherman, who's been all sorts of other names too & is probably quite a few others I haven't cottoned onto yet!)

Can I just ask to save myself a few zillion mails (that's an indeterminately large number before anyone asks me how many zeros that has ) - just what for this time ?

I don't see as he's breaking any forum rules by saying when he sees bad advice .. he mightn't be saying it particularly well or very nicely - but he does have a point !

& I also think he has a point when pointing out that any 'questionable' advice given out by someone with 'administrator' under their name on a tech site is likely to be seen as more credible than many other answers, because it will !

So, so far I have freddy banned for telling the truth - now that just can't be right can it ?

Although I don't agree with bannings, as usual he went too far -ed. He brought up an old thread to make an Admin look bad which DA deleted and he added an insult in his sig. Freddy needs to grow up and get off the sauce.
    The truth, in this case, was carried too far, and the insults kept coming. It was as if he was going through all of his posts to come up with another insult. That's obsessive behaviour, and he was actually making himself look bad...again. DA saved him from that, at least for now....

Quote Originally Posted by RRR or should I say 'straight shooter' ?
    ..as usual he went too far..
    Man alive if you can get banned for taking things too far here, then there ought to be a queue a mile long !! ...

Whether Feddy has some kind of vendetta going on or not, he still has a point (well a few !) ...

I can agree he doesn't have the best way of presenting or doing things always & certainly has done himself no favours with this , but when he 'goes on one' he most infuriatingly always seems to have good reason right at the bottom of it, & I can't help thinking this case is just the same ..

Man alive if you can get banned for taking things too far here, then there ought to be a queue a mile long !! ...

Whether Feddy has some kind of vendetta going on or not, he still has a point (well a few !) ...

I can agree he doesn't have the best way of presenting or doing things always & certainly has done himself no favours with this ,..
    And, we can have a grand debate (actually we did, didn't we?) over who actually took things too far in the example you cite. But, we won't go there, will we?
    And you are right about him having it "right". And, it was pointed out by several here. But, I also see that you also don't agree with how he "presents"...or, goes about it. Damn man, did you read what I told you he did? Listen, just email me, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    ...For instance explain the difference between a gigabyte and a gibibyte....
    Or explain that it can be pronounced as either "gigga" or "jigga". I looked it up and they are both correct.
    Hello World