usb devices cause crash

Thread: usb devices cause crash

Hybrid View

usb devices cause crash

hi,
    i have just installed service pack 2 on my winxp machines, and whenever an external usb device is plugged in (memory stick, external HDD, camera etc), the machine shows the dreaded blue screen and starts to 'dump physical memory'. does this mean i need to upgrade drivers for the motherboard (which is DFIPM12-Tc/TL)? and how do i locate these drivers on the net not in russian??
    thanks for your help
    anne

Hi Anne,

Up-to-date drivers are a good place to start, although I can't answer for SP2 compatability.

DFI's global english download site is here:

http://www.dfi.com.tw/index_us_noflash.jsp?SITE=US

and PM12-TC & TL are listed in the Model dropdown, to source Via 4-in-1 pack and USB2.0 driver.

Good luck, post back if you have any further trouble.

dear platypus,
    thanks for that. i have installed the chipset drivers from there. no change. uninstalled the USB hubs and controllers, and installed the USB drivers from the dfi site as you suggested, no change. then uninstalled them again and let windows detect them, no change.
    are we looking here at a dead end. will i have to take sp2 off these machines for the usb to work, or are there other avenues??

Well Anne, we mightn't really be at a dead end, but my limited experience fault-finding XP could mean someone else may have to help you more.

Just to double check, is this correct, the USB worked OK on these systems, then immediately on installation of SP2, all began to blue screen?

In this instance, since the common factor seems likely to be the DFI board, it could well be a hardware incompatability. If so reverting back from SP2 is a work-around, but if you need SP2, doesn't help a lot...

One thing I notice is that the most recent BIOS for this board is quite old (2 years old in fact), and may be immature in some aspects required by the updates in SP2. However, if the BIOS in your systems is even older than Feb 2003, it could still be worth trying an update to the later BIOS. I would expect it would be best to uninstall SP2 before doing such an update, then install SP2 again. Perhaps other members may have run into such a situation before.

Also, do you have a record of any error messages given at the blue screen? This can help a lot in identifying the cause of problems.

my PCs now work - but i fear it may be precarious.
    i think you are right about the immature BIOS, but i did upgrade to a 3.3.03 one that i found.
    also, the machines have symantec ghost console client on them, and there is a problem acknowledged in the symantec knowledge base with usb drivers on machines with ghost 8x console client on them, and a fix that i have used.

a certain sequence of BIOS upgrade, new BIOSchipset drivers, updated motherboard USB drivers, uninstall all USB listings from devmgt, do the symantec fix, turn off and on again after a few seconds gives us a working system when windows finds them again.
    i'm over it, hopefully we won't hear of it again - rolling back sp2 and doing a new image will take a bit of time if it has to happen.
    thanks for your assistance, fingers crossed.........

Quote Originally Posted by anne
    the machines have symantec ghost console client on them, and there is a problem acknowledged in the symantec knowledge base with usb drivers on machines with ghost 8x console client on them, and a fix that i have used.
    Where did you get that info from symantec and is there a patch. I have the same problem at work when anyone tries to use a USB device like a memory stick or digital camera. It has to be plugged in before the computer boots otherwise BSOD here we come.

I found these but no answers.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/comp...c/22413-1.html

http://www.pcbanter.net/archive/inde...en-XP-SP2.html
    Last edited by BOB IROC; February 18th, 2005 at 11:38 PM.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices