I am lost

Thread: I am lost

Unhappy I am lost not, loading OS

Been searching and searching and by the way im a noob at this and this is my frist post here so hello everyone but anyway...........

I have a big problem,

Error loading O.S.

Last week i decided to set up a raid system, first i think i missed a step setting it up and i think i lost my boot sector on C:so i do some searching and fond you can do a restore form xp disk, but my xp disc is not like any other, it is a coorprate cd with menus that the system sees first so i can't get to the repair section and it tells me it is not a system cd and i dont think it even has the repair option. So decided to install xp on my second drive and all went well and i thought i could just move my files but when i boot up xp only sees 4GB of my F: drive. bios sees it as 80GB but not windows and when i go into properties it shows 4GB FAT32 but the 160GB i put the new system on is NTFS so i figured THATS IT!!!.... nope i used bootit to convert it to NTFS with no luck.FDISK is not an option bueause i dont want to erase all the data. A friend told me about Knoppix live and says there is a good chance it can move my files for me but i'm not so sure it will see all 80GB either. Now is there any way i can go into my install cd which i have an image of on another pc and copy the exact files i need to repair my boot sector burn them to a new cd and create a startup or a boot disk/sector to replace my bad sector and then get windows to recognize the whole HD without losing or reformatting my HD .If i can i will just make it the master again and just Fdisk my 160GB because there is nothing on it but windows.
    SETUP:
    DRIVE C 160GB NTFS WINDOWS INSTALLED
    DRIVE F 80 GB NTFS NOT LOADING OS
    I have tried to run it as master with no luck

Please help i am lost
    P.S. im sure i left out some info you might need so please ask

And thanks
    Last edited by ghostnotes; February 18th, 2005 at 03:48 PM.

Welcome to WD forums ghostnotes.

So that question made me exactly what I already am - confus-ed !

But things that spring to mind to help -

Ghost/image your drives as now before you do anything.

You can create a slipstreamed install disk if you have the windows cab files, & then make that bootable, thus creating a windows system disk that you can boot with to maybe try a repair ?..

.. i used bootit to convert it to NTFS with no luck...
    All the 'its' got me lost .. but is this not the one that won't go ? - seems to me that's 'fubar'ed' it - perhaps try a recover utility on this ?

..but as I couldn't fathom just what you were doing & where you were then 'at' .. I can't say specifically say what to do next ..