[RESOLVED] network-related periodic Win98 system freeze

Thread: [RESOLVED] network-related periodic Win98 system freeze

bobaran

Question network-related periodic Win98 system freeze

i've got a RealTek 8139 card installed in my PC and am logged onto a microsoft NT network. i'm having a weird and very annoying problem in relation to the network--

every 15 or 20 minutes, my entire system just freezes for a few seconds, then unfreezes and continues as tho nothing has happened. i know this is network related because when my pc is not logged on and is not trying to log on, this freeze never occurs. i also have determined that the freeze is much more frequent during hours of increased network activity and much less frequent during the early hours of the morning. i suspect that for some reason the network is overwhelming the card and system resources are being redirected to take care of the problem-- thereby causing everything else to be put on hold until the system has processed the network issue.

this is the most aggravating issue i've ever had with a computer, and i've had to live with it for the last year (since i first built this machine). if anybody can shed ANY light on this issue, i'd be forever indebted to them.

thanks!

NooNoo

sounds like an irq sharing issue, whats sharing with your nic?

------------------
    Never ever approach a computer saying or thinking, "I will just do this quickly"