READ: MS Reminds Users Of Auto SP2 Update Deadline

Thread: READ: MS Reminds Users Of Auto SP2 Update Deadline

READ: MS Reminds Users Of Auto SP2 Update Deadline

Microsoft has begun reminding users who last year blocked the installation of Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) that a deadline is fast approaching. On April 12, all blocking mechanisms will expire and Windows XP and XP SP1 systems will automatically download and update to SP2.

"The intent of this alert is to provide you with a reminder about the upcoming deadline around the date on which Automatic Update (AU) and Windows Update (WU) will deliver Windows XP SP2 regardless of the presence of the blocking mechanism," said Microsoft.

Full story: CRN

You can of course turn automatic updates off ! - it can be a PITA, as your carefully tested systems all come crashing down around your ears as you didn't legislate for M$ suddenly deciding to change programming rules (its a bit more complicated than that, but the net effect for many) - I know lots of places that still (yup still ! & I think this has been moved back 3 times)) aren't yet ready to move on from the original product despite all the various deadlines moving back previously.

I like the way M$ are representing this, very slick .. what they are actually saying is that they can't work out all the KB's & advice generally for both pre & post sp2 as they've changed (read fixed) that much they are almost two seperate products - in other words - the original versions of xp are 'too pooh' to bother supporting !

Quote Originally Posted by TechZ
    Microsoft has begun reminding users who last year blocked the installation of Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) that a deadline is fast approaching. On April 12, all blocking mechanisms will expire and Windows XP and XP SP1 systems will automatically download and update to SP2.

"The intent of this alert is to provide you with a reminder about the upcoming deadline around the date on which Automatic Update (AU) and Windows Update (WU) will deliver Windows XP SP2 regardless of the presence of the blocking mechanism," said Microsoft.

Well, isn't that sweet of them? Where were they when I was trying to get WinUpdates to detect SP2? I had to go find it on our network! MS is job security, but sometimes they are just a PITA!!

Quote Originally Posted by TechZ

Let them try , I dare them to try on mine !
    "you can Log out - but you can never leave" : DMO
    What part of WOOF don't you understand ? Wolf
    -----------------------------------
    (Sergeant) Private Military Strategy Consultant
    FormatAndReload.com

People gripe at MS for being unsecure, then gripe when they try to fix it. I've had no problems with SP2 at home or work. The few work problems turned out to be things that should have been secured anyway. Also, read the EULA. Nice bit of light evening reading.
    I drink therefore I am.