Hi,

I recently had a hard drive disaster and decided to buy a new Western Digital 80gb SATA drive. When I went to install, I realised I should have stuck with an IDE drive. However, I had access to a discounted SATA controller card and went about installing the drive. After installation, I loaded Windows XP home edition with embedded Service Pack 1. So far so good.

I then went about installing my programs (Office XP, Photoshop, etc). After installing Media Monkey and scanning in all of my music files, I tried to play an MP3. Got an error message saying there was an error with Directsound v2.2.7. I went through all of the related troubleshooters in Windows XP "Help and Support". It looks like I have no sound card. It says my sound is from "Modem line #o". However, I had no problem before with the old hard drive and assumed the sound card was part of my motherboard. After checking my manual, it appears I do indeed have a soundcard in my motherboard. My motherboard is an Elite Group P4VMM2, with AC97 sound. I went to the ECS website and downloaded the sound driver. After unzipping, I get a message saying "VIA ac97 chipset not found". ??????? How is this so? Have I done something wrong? Should I start all over again?

Please help. I consider myself a novice/intemediate user.

Thanks