Sound Driver not installing

Thread: Sound Driver not installing

Post Sound Driver not installing

Hi,

I recently had a hard drive disaster and decided to buy a new Western Digital 80gb SATA drive. When I went to install, I realised I should have stuck with an IDE drive. However, I had access to a discounted SATA controller card and went about installing the drive. After installation, I loaded Windows XP home edition with embedded Service Pack 1. So far so good.

I then went about installing my programs (Office XP, Photoshop, etc). After installing Media Monkey and scanning in all of my music files, I tried to play an MP3. Got an error message saying there was an error with Directsound v2.2.7. I went through all of the related troubleshooters in Windows XP "Help and Support". It looks like I have no sound card. It says my sound is from "Modem line #o". However, I had no problem before with the old hard drive and assumed the sound card was part of my motherboard. After checking my manual, it appears I do indeed have a soundcard in my motherboard. My motherboard is an Elite Group P4VMM2, with AC97 sound. I went to the ECS website and downloaded the sound driver. After unzipping, I get a message saying "VIA ac97 chipset not found". ??????? How is this so? Have I done something wrong? Should I start all over again?

Please help. I consider myself a novice/intemediate user.

Thanks

Welcome to WD dcb.
    The fact that sound is "trying' to come out of your modem shows that your os doesn't recognize a real sound card. So, we need more info if that via chipset isn't the right one. MB makers and especially proprietary "Brand" makes are notorious for not telling anyone what exact sound/video/hdd are in their systems. It's always who has the latest best bid. So, give us more details about this m/b, especially what "version" it may be. Perhaps even the bios string. Do you know what that is and how to read it?

Wow! Thanks for the quick reply, and thanks for asking. he he.

No, I don't know what it is or how to read it.

As for the mb version, I'm not too sure. I'm at work at the moment. I'll need to check when I get home. Probably won't be able to get back to you until next week. I appreciate your help.

Hi there,

I've found out that the version number of my motherboard is 1.1a (according to the manual). The BIOS string is:
    62-0905-001131-00101111-040201-VIA-P6-P4VMM2-.
    It says "American Megatrends above the string.

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Here is a link to your motherboard drivers http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/down...to=Motherboard

You have a realteck AC97 audio device on the motherboard, thats why it can't find the VIA chipset.

Thanks, but I'm not too sure what to click on when I get to the link. It's just showing me BIOS updates.

Here is a link to Realtek http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&Software=True
    Download the media player and the Windows 98Gold/98se/Me/2000/XP/2003 driver.

Bingo!
    I downloaded both the media player and the driver, and after some fiddling around, I finally have sound again.

Thanks TripleRLtd and tyamada. You guys rock. If only the whole world worked this way (people helping each other for free - because they want to).

Peace.

i have problem too

Sorry if my english is bad. I hope you can understand

I also have a motherboard p4vmm2 with a soundcard driver onboard.
    After installing a new windows XP professional ed. I try to play my mp3 with windows media player and I can't hear the sound.
    There is a message that My computer doesn'y have a sound card.
    And then I try to download via from ecsusa.com after installation there is also a message that doesn't match
    so after read your problem which i think similar with mine. i download the realtek and driver for windows xp from the website
    after installation i can't still hear my sound
    can you please help me?
    i download ap_a372 and wdm_a372
    realtek semiconductor corp.
    thanks for your help

Hi Dhisti,

I wish I could help but I'm not very technical. I would advise contacting Tymada (the person who helped me), or starting a new thread. Sorry, but I hope this helps.

All the best.

Dhisti:

The first thing you should do is to go into the BIOS setup and check to see if your sound card is enabled. Enable it if it isn't, reboot the computer.

When you are in Windows go to Start, Settings, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Device Manager, Sound, Video and Game controllers. There should be an entry called Realtek AC'97 Audio. If there is a yellow exclamation point anywhere there, right click on the item and uninstall it. Reboot the computer and install the Realtek software WDM_372a (Driver). You will have to reboot again, when you do you should have sound. If you still don't have sound then I suspect the sound card is defective.