Vpn

Thread: Vpn

Vpn

I have a customer with offices in two locations. Home location is single desktop box and two laptops. Remote office I had assumed was single desktop (more on this in a bit). Customer wants both locations networked. Both offices have Centurytel DSL modems, home DSL unit is DSL modem/router with four switch ports.

I suggested the Linksys WRV54G wireless VPN router at the home location and suggested the Linksys USB1VPN network adapter for the desktop at the remote location. That is, until I discovered that these two laptops roam and are as apt to be at the remote location, needing the join the network there as much as the home location. So that kind of rules out the USB NIC I had envisioned as the VPN client connection. What would you suggest I use as the connection point at the other end of the tunnel? I would rather not use a software based client on each computer at the remote location, just have them join the workgroup down there and be able to shoot data down the tunnel. Should I put another WRV54G at the other end and set up the tunnel between these two?

My experience to date has been single remote VPN clients accessing a network somewhere. Also, I am going to have fun trying to get those DSL modems to bridge over to routers. They are always set up initially as routers themselves, intended for connection to a single desktop. That 4-port DSL modem/router may not accomodate bridging (Westell unit, didn't get a model number during the first visit).

Anyway, what would you guys suggest as the interconnection device at the remote location to get that desktop and two laptops on the network and sending data down that tunnel?
    God is a comedian, playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh - Voltaire

model considerations asside I woudl go for the WRV54G Router at each end and then configure it to tunnel between the to sites. It keeps the users complelty uninvolved and makes it simple, assuming that the modem will co-operate.

ISP provided modems? can the modems do the tunnel if they have router capabilitys built in? If they are the ISP's equipment perhaps they can be contected for a differnet model?