Outgoing Mail Authentication

Thread: Outgoing Mail Authentication

Outgoing Mail Authentication

Hi,

We have recently setup an exchange Server that uses BT for there outgoing mail, however they need authentication in order to send. Does anyone know how this can be setup??
    It's not big and it's not clever!!

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    I read through the page but I couldn't see anything that could help?

Because I am on the "other side of the pond" I really don't know what BT is, I would assume your ISP.

Pardon me for asking, but why would you use BT for outgoing messages when you already have an Exchange server? What's the point of having Exchange if you're going to use an ISP to send mail.

I ask because, we use Exchange for internal mail but we have a POP3 connector to download our pop email from our provider, store it in Exchange and send directly with Exchange. I plan to go to exchange exclusively (or a qmail to exchange system) once we get some better hardware reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by shanff
    Because I am on the "other side of the pond" I really don't know what BT is, I would assume your ISP.

Pardon me for asking, but why would you use BT for outgoing messages when you already have an Exchange server? What's the point of having Exchange if you're going to use an ISP to send mail.

I ask because, we use Exchange for internal mail but we have a POP3 connector to download our pop email from our provider, store it in Exchange and send directly with Exchange. I plan to go to exchange exclusively (or a qmail to exchange system) once we get some better hardware reliability.
    He most likely wishes to use this method because this is the only outgoing mail traffic allowed by his ISP.
    System Specs

486DX2
    16MB RAM
    16 MB RAM
    1MB vid RAM
    Windows 3.1

?

D@ve, do you mean that every outgoing mail needs to be authenticated with your ISP SMTP server when logging into it?

In order to send via SMTP the local Server must connect and then authenticate before it sends any mail. When the users were setup just using Outlook Express and send directly to the ISP there was a tick box to authenticate before sending.

I don't think that an internal exchange mail account can bet set to use an ISP SMTP with authentication.
    It uses the built-in SMTP server of the exchange.
    However, I configured two accounts for each user, an exchange for the internal uses (which works by default with the exchange SMTP), and a second internet mail which uses the ISP SMTP (with a SMTP authentication) to route mail outside my company. In the exchange properties of each user mail addresses the SMTP is set primary to the ISP SMTP address, and secondary to the internal SMTP).

Works like a charm.

I am just in the proces of testing this at the moment, but when we configured the system there was only one static IP available so we setup Port Forwarding. Im just in the process of checking but maybe the ISP's server sends an Authentication Request on another port??