No sound on Dell after OS reinstall

Thread: No sound on Dell after OS reinstall

Question No sound on Dell after OS reinstall

Greetings to all from a newbie.

OK then, I realise this thread looks familiar, but I can't find a precise match for my issue. If it turns out that I am a time-waster then I apologise in advance.

My neighbour's Dell Dimension 8200 was infested with spyware and the browser was hijacked. After failing to get it clean I reinstalled XP (SP1) and all is well except for no sound. Searching the net got me a driver package labelled R45973 that installs Soundmax for the Analog Devices AD1885 Multimedia Audio Controller, which runs almost to completion but then gives the message 'driver not found - reboot and run this program again.' Needless to say, I have been round that loop umpteen times!

So what am I missing? Dell support is not a lot of good because the PC was supplied with ME as the OS. Any sound advice?

Note to moderators: How come Scotland is not on the list of countries on the sign-up form? I had to select England!

Schoolboy
    Last edited by schoolboy; March 2nd, 2005 at 12:07 PM.

The only Audio related drivers for the 8200 running XP provided by Dell are here

Altec Lansing ADA995
    Altec Lansing Altec Lansing ADA 885
    Analog Devices AD1885 Integrated Audio
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Digital
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! 512V
    Harman Kardon 695 High End Speaker
    Harman Kardon HK395
    Harman Kardon Low End Speaker
    NMB 605 Speakers
    Voyetra Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
    You can put the service tag in
    here but that is just the main page from the first link.

if the machine is exposed onthe internet (no firewalls) the nit has a survival time of 23 min. before something else hits it. as its a clean install you barly have time to install and patch an AV program before it gets hit again. my guess is that if you have no filtering devices (routers) then it has been reinfected.

as to the driver, your certain that it is using the onboard sound, it looks like SB live! is also an option for that system, maby the driver install is detecting that its hardware is not present.

go to here
    and provide it with the serial number of the system, this will tell you what the system originaly shipped with.